Router chuck in dress press set up

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Router chuck in dress press set up

Post by scollins »

I am ready to explore other ways to use my SS. There are times that it would be nice to be able to see the cut. I am not interested in adding the overhead router set up that requires a router at this time, but curious if I can do some of the same things with the router chuck on the SS quill. I know that holddowns with be necessary.

Can anyone share their knowledge along this line?
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I have done overhead routing and it works. Feed slow and take multiple shallow cuts. There is info on this in PTWFE. You can make a table insert with a pin for overhead pin routing as well. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
ljhhontx
Gold Member

Post by ljhhontx »

I haven't tried this because I don't have any but I remember reading that to overcome the slow speed you will need to use 3 winged bits to have much success, I've tried regular 1/4" bits in an old chuck I cut out of an old non working router and didn't have much success.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Keep in mind the spindle speed(cuts/time/feed). A slow spindle speed with a slow feed rate works almost as well as the faster speeds, but there is more time between 'cuts' for manual dexterity to create 'faults'. Larger radius(cutting surfaces) work better than smaller bits.

Secret is patience and steady hand.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yes,routing, as well as shaping can be successfully done with the standard Mark V. You have to be careful not to place the workpiece between the fence and the cutter. In order to do this you will need a split fence. You can either make on or buy one - like this --http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/ms_shaperdrumsanderfence.htm

Also, a standard drill chuck is not made to withstand side pressures like present in routing. Shopsmith has router bit chucks available for 1/4" and 1/2" shanked bits. See this page - -
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/rm_routerchuckshield.htm
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

JPG40504 wrote:Keep in mind the spindle speed(cuts/time/feed). A slow spindle speed with a slow feed rate works almost as well as the faster speeds, but there is more time between 'cuts' for manual dexterity to create 'faults'. Larger radius(cutting surfaces) work better than smaller bits.

Secret is patience and steady hand.
And I almost forgot-- one of the marketing bullets for the PowerPro is the new max 10,000 rpm. Now yer talkin router speed.
And since I'm in-between setups I may just go put on my never-used SS router chuck and see what develops...

...and I seem to remember the insert thingie from PTWFE, now if I can just find my PTWFE...
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

charlese wrote:...
Also, a standard drill chuck is not made to withstand side pressures like present in routing. Shopsmith has router bit chucks available for 1/4" and 1/2" shanked bits. See this page - -
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/rm_routerchuckshield.htm
SCOLLINS-- Somewhere in the dim past I accidentally ordered, and bought, an extra router chuck. Don't remember if it's a 1/4" or 1/2". If you need one let me know and I'll 1) find it, and 2) send it to ya.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
scollins
Gold Member

Router chuck

Post by scollins »

I'd prefer a 1/2". If you find it let me know what you want for it. I can probably order a new one for I think about $20ish, but always looking for a deal. I have two excellent PC routers, but there are a few things that would be nice to do while watching the cut and aren't easy to do with a free hand router set up.

I would love to come across a universal lathe tool rest set up.

I am in between projects at the moment and looking to tend to a few tweaks to my shop set up that I have been putting off.

Thanks
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

scollins wrote:I'd prefer a 1/2". ...
Ok, I'll look and see which one I've got extra, and we'll go from there. Not like I'm selling anything, ya know...