New Mark VII owner in need of repair help.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rkmhd wrote:It looked like a glue... I scraped it with a screwdriver. It turned out to be some old dust mixed with some grease, and belt dust from over the years.

I just don't see how it can be adjusted any at all. I must be missing something. With the gear all the way pack you can see it sits perfectly where the gear is missing/worn away. If there was a new gear to replace it with there wouldn't be much gear bite to work the stock up and down the track.
Glad to hear it wasn't really 'glue'!

Cannot tell for sure, but your pix appear to indicate the gear is 'low' relative to the worm gear. Are all the retaining clips in place(3)? Is the bottom of the gear worn? Maybe a washer will could 'raise' it, but I do not see the two pins disengaging the pinion gear either. It is possible the 'glued' shaft has dropped down? I now believe the shaft is finely splined and was driven into the casting boss. Does much of the 'splined' portion extend below the boss?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryansm7
Gold Member

Post by ryansm7 »

rkmhd wrote:Hello all.

I picked up a mark VII a few months ago. Little did I know what I was getting into. It worked at the previous Owners house. I tried to use it at home and it would hum and not turn. So I took the headstock off. and took it appart. The belt was stuck in the shelve. So I took the belt off and ended up getting a new one. Then I took the motor appart because the wires were literally falling appart. I nipped them back and soldered in new wire with some shrink wrap. Everything seems to work pretty good. The unit does get quite loud at full RPM, and I noticed the speed selector turns on its own a little. For the most part I fixed that issue. The latest is the gearing that moves the headstock up and down. I don't quite understand what needs to be fixed on it. I can move the gear forward on the shaft to connect with the drive gear of the handle. It stayes there as long as the headstock is going down. As soon as I rotate it to go upwards. The gear slides out of place and it just sits there. Can anyone shead some light on this please. I am in the middle of uploading some pictures of the gear to see if it makes any since to any of you guys.

Thanks,
Hi rkmhd,

For "the speed selector turns on its own"

There is a metal cam follower which the plastic cam pushes and pulls as the speed dial is rotated.
The plastic cam can be installed 2 different ways on the cam follower... yes the right way and the wrong way ]11529[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11530[/ATTACH]

It is not easy to see here, but the surface of the metal cam follower which comes in contact with the plastic cam is actually beveled.
One side is thicker than the other. The thicker side should be on the top.
Both pictures show the thinner side of the cam follower.

When installing the plastic cam onto the cam follower, the cam follower will naturally want to rotate such that the heavy side will be down.
That is the wrong way.
If installed like this, the result will cause the speed dial to increment on its own while in operation.

If you are going to remove the cam from the cam follower; check the cam follower bearing by rotating it. If it is bad or going bad - replace it!!!

When that bearing goes bad; it will get very hot and melt the plastic cam.

Attachments
IMG_2390c.JPG
IMG_2390c.JPG (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
BottomView1.JPG
BottomView1.JPG (35.7 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
~Ryan
rkmhd
Silver Member

Post by rkmhd »

ryansm7. I think you hit the nail on the head with the cam follower.....I will check that tomorrow or a few days... I kinda took a bad fall on some ice the other day and I haven't had time to play in the garage yet.

As for JPG. I was looking at a parts diagram I just found on line this morning. I also noticed all the clips on that rod. I need to check that out and the rest of it for sure.

I'll report back soon I hope..
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rkmhd wrote:ryansm7. I think you hit the nail on the head with the cam follower.....I will check that tomorrow or a few days... I kinda took a bad fall on some ice the other day and I haven't had time to play in the garage yet.

As for JPG. I was looking at a parts diagram I just found on line this morning. I also noticed all the clips on that rod. I need to check that out and the rest of it for sure.

I'll report back soon I hope..

If you had left out the extra 'p' in yer email address here, you would have had one before today!:D hmmp! he fixed it b4 I linked it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rkmhd
Silver Member

Post by rkmhd »

Well I got out ther in the garage today. I got good and bad news. Good news is my speed selector is now working properly. I moved the cam guide around. That threw off the speed dial a little. Actually it let the sheves open up too far and started to eat my new belt. With a little adjustment It was good to go. I still used my little washer I made to fit between the snapring and the dial selector. It seems to take up much needed slack and makes the dail more presice on the clicks. Works great now. Thanks Ryan...

Now for the Gear that rides the pinion to raise and lower the headstock. All the parts are on the shaft that holds the gear that is chewed up. The shaft hasn't moved. I for the life of me cant figure out why this was made this way. Its not like their is a lever on the headstock that pulls the locking collar in and out of the gear. Crazy. It looks like I may need to do a replacement gear.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rkmhd wrote:Well I got out ther in the garage today. I got good and bad news. Good news is my speed selector is now working properly. I moved the cam guide around. That threw off the speed dial a little. Actually it let the sheves open up too far and started to eat my new belt. With a little adjustment It was good to go. I still used my little washer I made to fit between the snapring and the dial selector. It seems to take up much needed slack and makes the dail more presice on the clicks. Works great now. Thanks Ryan...

Now for the Gear that rides the pinion to raise and lower the headstock. All the parts are on the shaft that holds the gear that is chewed up. The shaft hasn't moved. I for the life of me cant figure out why this was made this way. Its not like their is a lever on the headstock that pulls the locking collar in and out of the gear. Crazy. It looks like I may need to do a replacement gear.
I think the 'pull down' disk is to allow manually disconnecting to allow unrestrained movement when servicing(partially disassembled). It is possible the disc was not rising far enough(weak spring?) so that the gear was riding low?????????? This assumes the pins did originally push the gear up!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

It has been over a year since I redid my Mark VII but I think you may be referring to the little lever that is usally missing on most of the Mark VII machines that is on the back of the headstock and is red in color. Usually as with mine there is a mount there with just a hole in it but there should be a little red lever attached to that and if I remember it was used to disengage the gears on the headstock travel crank. I actually got the parts from one of the members here and have yet to install it but I think I might do that this weekend if it is warm enough to go out to the garage and will take some pics and report back for you.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
rkmhd
Silver Member

Post by rkmhd »

I got some replacement parts. I replaced the chewed up gear.... the next thing I have to figure out is the center hub/ pulley alignment. Mine seems to be off. With the new cover on that I have. The center threaded shaft that sticks through the cover is not centered. It looks like this thing is on some kind of concentric. At the moment the pulley is more on one side than the other. I figured I could loosen this and move the pulley as needed to get it where I need it to be. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about.

Its hard to tell but this picture below has the pulley much further away from the case.

damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Notice that the shaft is offcenter in the first photo. If you loosen things you can use a screwdriver to adjust the belt tension. Also, the plate that protects it on the cover can be shifted to accomodate.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The purpose of the eccentric is to adjust the ploy-v belt tension. This does shift the idler shaft and its pulley off center.
The belt cover has a small hole in the vent plate, and a much larger hole in the shroud. That is to allow positioning the vent plate off center to align with the 'off centered' shaft.
i.e. tis .normal!:)

Same thing said by damagi, just more and different words.

When adjusting the tension from minimum, the eccentric should be moved clock-wise as it is in your pix!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝