Electrostatic Discharge in your shop

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Electrostatic Discharge in your shop

Post by dusty »

I came across this website that I thought was quite interesting. Hope you all do too.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/woo ... myths.html
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Interesting Dusty. After watching this weeks sawdust session and seeing that PVC is used (ungrounded) at the academy, I was reminded of the ongoing debate over using PVC in dust collection.
Doug
Greenville, SC
dusty
Platinum Member

ESD in your shop

Post by dusty »

There was some discussion about ESD during the Sawdust Session. Did Nick say that the academy's system was not grounded?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

We did mention a ground is entirely necessary in a PVC dust collection system. We used PVC do to it's ease of use. I would find it hard to believe that the majority of you have not cemmented PVC and/or watched someone do it. It is a simple solution for an important problem. As Nick mentioned in the Sawdust Session, you have to have it grounded because ESD (electro static discharge) could possibly cause the saw dust particles to combust. After all everything you do in your shop should be centered around safety.

The ground wire should run though or spiral the wire around the outside (a spiral every two to tree feet) of the PVC and connect it to any metal on the dust collector that is in direct/indirect contact with the housing of the motor.

If you need a better explaination, post your question.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche