Planer pulley key

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Planer pulley key

Post by sswoodworker48 »

Picked up a SS mount planer that was mounted on a power stand. The planer pulley Woodruff key is missing. Does anyone know what size the key should be and should it have a flat or full-radius style bottom? The keyway is full-radius so I assume the key should match. The motor pulley is there and is a square key so can't match it.
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A woodruff key fits into a dished out keyway in the shaft. A pulley that connects to it has a flat keyway cut into it.

[ATTACH]11965[/ATTACH]

A woodruff key is essentially a truncated cylinder.
Attachments
woodruff key.jpg
woodruff key.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:A woodruff key fits into a dished out keyway in the shaft. A pulley that connects to it has a flat keyway cut into it.

[ATTACH]11965[/ATTACH]

A woodruff key is essentially a truncated cylinder.
BUT he wanted to know what size to use.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:BUT he wanted to know what size to use.
Actually he seemed confused re how they are used. I assume he can measure the keyways once he understands what is what.

The important dimensions are the thickness and height. Measuring the shaft will require some deductive thinking. The depth of the shaft slot at the center and the depth of the slot in the pulley will define the 'height'.

I also assume he is referring to the feed motor drive shaft. If necessary I will take mine apart tomorrow and measure it.

sswoodworker48(he): let me know!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Actually he seemed confused re how they are used. I assume he can measure the keyways once he understands what is what.

The important dimensions are the thickness and height. Measuring the shaft will require some deductive thinking. The depth of the shaft slot at the center and the depth of the slot in the pulley will define the 'height'.

I also assume he is referring to the feed motor drive shaft. If necessary I will take mine apart tomorrow and measure it.

sswoodworker48(he): let me know!:)
Do that, please. And pictures! I don't think mine looks like that at all. It is just a bar (of proper dimension).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
henecle
Gold Member

If you're still stuck...

Post by henecle »

You can drop by and take a look at mine, I have a similar Mk V mounted planer converted into the stand-alone mode. I'm just a little ways south of you. :)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

I'm out this way too...but no planer.
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

OK, let me reword my question:

Can anyone tell me the size of the Woodruff key for the Planer drive shaft when using a pulley rather than a coupler?

No, in fact, I do know the difference between the types of keys and how they are used. It was just simpler while sitting here reading the latest posts last night, to ask the question rather than go out to the workshop (garage) and measure.

Dusty-
There are, in fact, both types of keys used on the planers. The one I recently picked up was milled for a straight key (which was missing). It was built in March of '83. My previous planer, which I am mounting on the power stand, was built in August '96 and has the Woodruff style keyway. The first picture is of the motor shaft with a straight key/keyway. I already sold the other planer (1983) so can't get a picture of it but it is the same. The second picture is of my original (1996) planer drive shaft with the Woodruff keyway. It is, as JPG described, dished out to fit the radius of the key..... actually, the other way around- the key fits the keyway, or keyseat as it is sometimes called.

The important part is that the key is there as the set screw is not sufficient to lock the pulley on the shaft. This was clearly evident on the '83 planer as there were small grooves on the circumference of the shaft created by the set screw when the pulley rotated on the shaft after the set screw loosened a bit.

Lief- thanks for your offer. Got that Greenie rebuilt yet?
[ATTACH]11972[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11973[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MotorKey.jpg
MotorKey.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
PlanerKey.jpg
PlanerKey.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Key is 'full round' 1/8" thick, 3/8" wide and .171" tall.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#woodruff-keys/=b3orlk

[ATTACH]11974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11975[/ATTACH]

Mine is a 'manual' feed, but the parts are the same as motor feed(gear,key).

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=513391&Submit=Find+Item
Attachments
pro planer feed drive gear etc.jpg
pro planer feed drive gear etc.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
pro planer drive gear etc2.jpg
pro planer drive gear etc2.jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG, I believe you are showing the woodruff key from the drive roller shaft. I believe the question is for the size of the key in the cutter head drive shaft. Pull the drive hub and see if you have a keyway for a woodruff key.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com