This forum

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

This forum

Post by dusty »

is also educational.

I learn something new every day. ed reible, I think I see the advantage. It could get a little confusing but I'll learn. I have a dual monitor system; I can get more windows open than my feeble mind can keep track of.

My grand kids are having a ball. Two of them already knew about the features and have used them but on the dual monitor it appears to be more interesting to them. Now that I know that I have face-to-face tutors---You might not have to work so hard to upgrade my technical background.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Ed in Tampa wrote: What am I doing wrong. I'm on IE 7
Ed
I am using Safari to monitor RSS feeds. IE does seem to have problems with this feed. I went to the vBulletin forum and they seem to say that vBulletin works fine with IE so it looks like something unique to the Shopsmith forum. This looks like the first time the MAC wins when it comes to dealing with Shopsmith, but it is also more likely to get fixed since Shopsmith can easily debug it. For users the temporary solution is below.

If you are using IE, subscribe to "http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/external.htm?type=RSS2"
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I don't know but I have my IE with the RSS feed working.

When to the link using the browser and cut and paste and it showed me the feed then I just subscribed. Now the RSS feed is there in IE.

I do use a Yahoo tool bar but other wise it is just the current IE running on an xp machine.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I know there are some tight bearings in this forum software. But, as new as I am, from experience with WoodNet forums, I was able to "dive right in" here- including adding photos. Maybe I just haven't been computer literate enough to know what I might be missing- the search on WoodNet is fussy as well.

So,a fussy search engine means more frequent "re-hash" of topics. When this is commented upon by members who really have been there etc., I point out that covering old ground often develops a new angle, or better expression of ideas- and sometimes helps the codgers(me) jump start our synapses, firing up our memories.mt (
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

As I said-- computer impaired.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Boy, I guess I hit a nerve with many of you. Anyway, from my comment I guess it seems that I know of other superior forums out there. That is not true. Like everyone else, I think this is probably the easiest forum to navigate. The 'new post' thing is pretty frustrating at times, however. The way it works for me, usually, is I click 'new posts' and it shows me all of the threads with posts that I have not read. I chose which one I want to view and go through it. Then, I click 'new posts' again and it returns me to the same list, except that the thread that I have now viewed is no longer bold-faced, so I know I've read it. I continue this until I've read everything of interest to me, then under 'quick links' I select 'Mark forums read', and everything is marked as having been read by me. This system works fine as long as I don't leave the page until I am done. It's when I go to another tab or window and then come back that I have the problem. Hopefully, a future upgrade will correct this behavior. I really do like this forum both for the way it works and especially for the content. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people that contribute to the board, and I am a better woodworker because of you. Thanks.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

paulmcohen wrote:I am using Safari to monitor RSS feeds. IE does seem to have problems with this feed. I went to the vBulletin forum and they seem to say that vBulletin works fine with IE so it looks like something unique to the Shopsmith forum. This looks like the first time the MAC wins when it comes to dealing with Shopsmith, but it is also more likely to get fixed since Shopsmith can easily debug it. For users the temporary solution is below.

If you are using IE, subscribe to "http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/external.htm?type=RSS2"

Paul
Thanks for the help. In my effort to get RSS to work I learned more than I really wanted to know, but you evidently have the answer. In any case I don't think I will use RSS as it seems to work similar to Yahoo and load up my mail reader with forum entries. I really don't like that so I think I will forgo RSS for the moment.
In Yahoo it seems everyone has it set up to have the latest updates go into their mail. I tried that for a while and it nearly put me over the wall. When I do mail I want to mail and when I do forums I want to do forums. My mind is not setup to mix the two. so thanks for the help on RSS but I think I will keep my way of visiting forums as it is now setup.
Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

If you use your browser, all you get is a summary in the tab bar. For example Shopsmith(3). If you click on the tab you get a few lines along with the subject. To view the topic you still need to visit the site. If you use Outlook or another RSS reader it will only download the summary, photo's and whole threads need to be downloaded separately. Also the amount you download does not count against any ISP limit, you are actually downloading it directly from the target website not from your mail provider.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Bruce wrote:Boy, I guess I hit a nerve with many of you. Anyway, from my comment I guess it seems that I know of other superior forums out there. That is not true...
Bruce
I think your statement, "This, along with a poor search engine, makes this forum software one of my least favorites. I just wish they would either fix this forum or get something else that works."

Gave us the idea you visited other forums that were better. We just wanted to know which ones.

I rarely use search function so I don't really don't have a problem with them.

My method of forum visiting is to go to the forum and see which subtopics have had activity. I open each in a new tab. Then I go into the subtopics and see which threads had new activity and open each in a new tab except for the last new thread which I simply open (in the subtopic tab) I read the threads closing the tabs unless I want to comment. When all my tabs are closed I know I have read everything of interest in the forum for that visit.

Forum usefulness as far as gaining information, ideas, entertainment is more effected by the participants than the actual mechanics of the forum. I think the contributors on the Shopsmith forum are some of the best and frankly I have been spending less and less time on the other forums.

There is an old saying "everyone has an opinion", well if you read enough forums you find that to be absolutely true. However I find most "opinions" are of little use because they aren't backed with experience, knowledge (and the wisdom to use that knowledge) and command of English language to adequately express that experience and knowledge.

I find the contributors of the Shopsmith forum to be among some of the best because their opinions are alwayed based on experience and knowledge and they express them in a very understandable way (except Rieble who must use pictures to demystify what he is saying) ]Just Kidding Rieble your pictures and comments are some of the best (thanks!))!![/color]

I also like the fact that Admin, Nick and Drew stay active in the forum. To me that establish accountability which is essential when critical information is being passed around. By that I mean if someone states something that is way wrong or dangerous to do one of these three usually step in immediately and set the record straight. To me this makes this forum a most valuable wood working tool.
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Ed in Tampa,
After re-reading my own comments, I couldn't believe I had written that this is one of my least favorites. That is not what I meant at all. I rarely visit other forums, woodworking or otherwise because I like this one. Every forum is going to have it's pluses and minuses, that's a given. You can't please everyone. I'm out of cliches now. :)

Paul,
I have set up a link to the RSS page in Safari and I like it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Bruce