Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bkhop
Gold Member

Sawdust Session ideas

Post by bkhop »

drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

I read only the first line of your post. I have to admit, most of our ideas come from this here forum. Maybe a "rating" system would be a good idea to implement. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to go about it, technically. The forum has given us ideas as what to present, however, we have not really looked at the forum as a guage for how in depth we should go within a certain topic. All the chat of new forum topics, maybe there should be a "Sawdust Session" section?

Really Nick and I listen/monitor/mine the forum for what you guys would like to learn and what you need to learn to make you woodworking successful.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

dusty
Platinum Member

Sawdust Session ideas

Post by dusty »

are boundless.

Yes, I think it would be great if the Sawdust Sessions could be lengthened; ie, the entire 90 minute segment be devoted to a single subject.

However, I feel certain that there shall be dissenting opinions. I believe that many of us would prefer to be teased with new ideas that can be taken to the shop for our own experimentation.

I personally spend more time viewing and reviewing those sessions that teach me how to either use or maintain a specific function of my Shopsmith equipment (to include the SpecialPurposeTools).

There has been a Sawdust Session on "Aligning the Mark V Table". In my opinion this session could easily be expanded to a full 90 minute session. Yes, having the main table is a requisite task to Shopsmith alignment but it doesn't stop there. Total table top alignment is another issue that must include floating tables and extension tables and possibly should include the rip fence amd miter gauge.

This comment is intended only as an example. The same approach could be taking on "using and maintaining" each and every piece of SPT.

Look how much discussion there has been on the height of the outfeed table on the jointer. There are pages in the forum on this topic but we still do not have a concensus. I can sharpen and reinstall the blades but I don't have an operational jointer unless I have the tables and the fence properly installed and aligned.

The bandsaw is another SPT that consumes a lot of space in the forum and I believe deserves a devoted Sawdust Session.

Just how versatile is the power station? It offers more than just a place to power the jointer or bandsaw other than on the Shopsmith. I feel certain that a session devoted to the care and use of the power station would be very valuable to many of us (maybe not all but many).

Why do the belts on my power station slip when I use the jointer but they work fine for the bandsaw and belt sander?

Must have something to do with belt tension. How are the belts tensioned? What is the correct tension setting? Does one adjustment work for all SPT?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Sawdust Session ideas

Post by dusty »

are boundless.

Yes, I think it would be great if the Sawdust Sessions could be lengthened; ie, the entire 90 minute segment be devoted to a single subject.

However, I feel certain that there shall be dissenting opinions. I believe that many of us would prefer to be teased with new ideas that can be taken to the shop for our own experimentation.

I personally spend more time viewing and reviewing those sessions that teach me how to either use or maintain a specific function of my Shopsmith equipment (to include the SpecialPurposeTools).

There has been a Sawdust Session on "Aligning the Mark V Table". In my opinion this session could easily be expanded to a full 90 minute session. Yes, having the main table is a requisite task to Shopsmith alignment but it doesn't stop there. Total table top alignment is another issue that must include floating tables and extension tables and possibly should include the rip fence amd miter gauge.

This comment is intended only as an example. The same approach could be taking on "using and maintaining" each and every piece of SPT.

Look how much discussion there has been on the height of the outfeed table on the jointer. There are pages in the forum on this topic but we still do not have a concensus. I can sharpen and reinstall the blades but I don't have an operational jointer unless I have the tables and the fence properly installed and aligned.

The bandsaw is another SPT that consumes a lot of space in the forum and I believe deserves a devoted Sawdust Session.

Just how versatile is the power station? It offers more than just a place to power the jointer or bandsaw other than on the Shopsmith. I feel certain that a session devoted to the care and use of the power station would be very valuable to many of us (maybe not all but many).

Why do the belts on my power station slip when I use the jointer but they work fine for the bandsaw and belt sander?

Must have something to do with belt tension. How are the belts tensioned? What is the correct tension setting? Does one adjustment work for all SPT?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Dusty
I tend to agree with you some of the information seems to gets touched on but I would like a more indepth study.

In your example of SS alignment again I agree there is much more than just the main table, yet when anyone speaks of aligning the SS they seem to focus only on that one aspect.

I would also like to see some basics covered. In one of the other forums there is a 5 page thread on alignment tools (namely squares). It seems even the best of the best squares can be off and if the alignment tool is off so is the machine you used them on to align.

I would like to see Nick cover how to test a tool for accuracy be it a rule, a square or even the cut on a SS. How to fix the problem if there is a problem and how to check an alignment tool before you buy it.

I know the problem with any technical discussion is people get antsy they want to make something not just get technical knowledge. So perhaps Nick in teaching alignment could build test jigs, alignment tools storage cases, setup blocks. Then the people who after pure info would be happy as well as those that are looking for a weekend project.

Another example of too little info. Nick just did a saw blade session (which is excellent). However I would like more. I would love to hear Nick discuss blade quality, what to look for from the blade manufactures, more discussion on "hook' angle and how it effects the cut (especially on Radial arm saws), blade material (many manufactures make interesting claims about their blade material and construction). There are new blades entering the market that have interesting bevels cut into the cutters how does this effect the cut? Finally if you make a cut and there is a problem how to you diagnosis the problem, what should I do if there is chip out, burn marks, swirl marks, stalling, smoking and etc?

I bought a blade made by a well known and highly respected blade manufacture. When I put it on my SS and ripped a piece of wood, the cut was terrible. The edge of the wood looked like it was cut by a beaver rather than a table saw. I remounted my oooold SS blade and made a perfect cut, I then took the two pieces along with the new blade to the store where I bought the blade. I showed the manager the two cuts and he never said a word just handed me back my money. Then he remarked he would not believe it if he hadn't seen it. To this day I wonder what was wrong with that blade.
Ed
turtleonapost
Bronze Member

Post by turtleonapost »

I like the sawdust sessions just the way they are. Each session has a variety of topics, just enough to get me thinking and excited. Some subjects are more interesting to me than others. To spend the full hour on one subject will cause many to lose interest, especially if it is not one of their favorite subjects. I would not like to see the sessions stray too far from the Shopsmith tools and the jigs and techniques for their use, as wood be the case on an in depth finishing or saw blade session. I have had a 500 and a 510 for close to 20 years and these sessions have renewed my interest in my Shopsmith tools. I think that this is what the sawdust sessions designed to do. I have spent more money with Shopsmith in the last few months because of these videos than I have in the last decade, and I am saving up for more. I find it nice that if a tool needs more coverage Nick has split it into many parts as with the OPR.
A pay-for-video for those that want a university class on specific subjects may be more appropriate.

Keep up the good work, Nick and Drew!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

turtleonapost wrote: A pay-for-video for those that want a university class on specific subjects may be more appropriate.Keep up the good work, Nick and Drew!
This may be exactly what Rick and Shopsmith had in mind for The Shopsmith Journals by Rick Davis.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... 0007116570
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Another example of too little info. Nick just did a saw blade session (which is excellent). However I would like more.

Just a reminder: This is an INTERACTIVE medium, folks. If you want more info, ask a question, express your opinion, make a comment, PARTICIPATE. What I try to do pack the basic information needed to discuss a topic intelligently in the first 15-30 minutes, then let you guys ask questions or contribute information. I have never quit a session while there are still unacknowledged questions or comments on the chat board.

With all good wishes,