Which Tool do You Enjoy the Most?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

[quote="robinson46176"]I don't think anyone was ruffled. :) We all just enjoy an excuse to get up and dance to the Shopsmith theme song. :D
Hey! What IS the Shopsmith theme song??? We need to work on that. ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8eC377h ... re=related :D

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well THAT should prove once and for all that SC is cosmopolitan!:D

I cannot believe I watched the WHOLE thing!!!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Favorite tool? ---- After thinking about it for a week or so, I came to the conclusion that I don't dislike any of my tools. Except maybe those battery powered ones.:(

The rest of them are all favorites! Especially when they are sharp and working well.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

II am a little late to this conversation. I would have to say the band saw. Second the ability to do horizontal drilling on the SS. I use the band saw more than the other functions cutting out things I am going to carve. And the horizontal drill press makes drilling holes in the top of cane shafts a breeze.
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

[ATTACH]11925[/ATTACH]My favorite is the horizontal bore..... Attachment shows dust collection.....
Attachments
IMG_1892 (Small).JPG
IMG_1892 (Small).JPG (51.69 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I gotta add that the horizontal boring capability is probably the most unique and overlooked attribute of a shopsmith. Overlooked I think because of its uniqueness in the home hobbyist market. I use it that way quite frequently (however often that is because raising to vertical is a 'hassle'). Still it is a very convenient option when drilling small parts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

JPG40504 wrote: I use it that way quite frequently (however often that is because raising to vertical is a 'hassle')

JPG you obviously do not have a lift assist. I takes away the 'hassle' factor.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:JPG you obviously do not have a lift assist. I takes away the 'hassle' factor.

So does not needing to lift one. ;)

On the other hand I have been thinking about when I get back on my mini/shorty converting it to lift either direction like the 7. I believe I can see some uses in having the sanding disk running flat side up. I'll have to try it on my VII and see it I think it is worth doing.

By the way, does anyone know the diameter of the pivot pin off of the top of their head?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

robinson46176 wrote:Actually my favorite tool isn't the Shopsmith, its a sawmill. With a sawmill you can make round trees into small square boards which you can glue up into bigger square boards and put on the Shopsmith lathe and make round again. :D .
OK, is it just me, or does Frances have the most quotable posts around?

Personally, I think the lathe is my favorite, but the table saw is used the most.

I also think the table saw is the least adequate of the original 5 tools. (I've got 2 ERs, with the 8 inch blades and the tiny tables.)

steve
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

robinson46176 wrote:...
By the way, does anyone know the diameter of the pivot pin off of the top of their head?

I'd love to help, but have no pivot pin off the top of my head.:rolleyes:

Sorry, Francis - couldn't resist!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA