Paint stripper

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scooter61
Silver Member

Paint stripper

Post by scooter61 »

Just got an old armoir that someone painted white. Whats the best paint stripper out there?
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Owww,
I can't wait to see this thread. I just got an old rolltop desk that needs alot of work and replacement wood. I used a can of old QRP stripper that did an OK job. My wife bought it on an infomercial about 6 years ago and hadn't used all of it yet. It is environmentally safe. She is really into that stuff.I will try to post pics of the project as I go along Can't wait to see what all of you have to say about this subject.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I've yet to meet a chemical paint stripper I like. Hopefully someone here has an answer for us.
Whenever possible, I strip old finishes with a small orbital sander. For the odd shaped pieces, I use chemical stripper, but it always has been an awful mess to clean up after stripping.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I like cirtusstrip. Environmentally friendly, works reasonably fast. Safe to touch!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I second Citrusstrip. Had great results from it when I was working on my Mark V. I haven't used it on wood, but I don't know if that would make a difference.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

I've never used Citrusstrip - i've only used the nasty stuff with methylene chloride. Whatever you choose, the important thing is to get a "semi-paste". Liquid is too thin and dries out before it has a chance to work.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
jimsjinx
Gold Member

This is what I do!

Post by jimsjinx »

I am a proffessional paint stripper. I have a small shop that my specialty is chemical stripping. A word of caution here. Most good strippers contain Methelyne Chloride, a nasty but effective stripper. In the old days, caustic soda and hot water was used to soak the finish off the wood. Damage was usually quite bad from this chemical. Even though cheap and effective for antibellum heart pine doors, we don't use it for furniture anymore, due to damage to glue joints, darkening the wood considerably, and warpage. Most of us now use what is called a "Flow-Over" system. This involves a rapidly evaporating solvent with Methylene Chloride, alchohol, and acetone. A surfactant, or "soap" is added, to aid in rinsing the residue off the wood, as it must be gently power washed to neutralize the stripper. Also, a parrafin or wax is added to slow down evaporation. This solvent stripper is poured into a 5 gallon bucket, to charge the explosion proof pump, and then it is pumped through a chemical resistant hose with a scrub brush on the end. The furniture is placed in a slanted 4'X8' tray, with a drain in the deep end. As the stripper does its work, it flows through the system, all the time you add stripper to compensate for evaporation and absorbsion into the wood. This stuff will hurt like the devil if you get it on you, and if not washed off immediately, will burn tissue badly! ( ask me bout' the time I lifted a grandfather clock case out of the tank, and soaked my junk with this stuff!!!) The stuff I use is about $70.00 for 5 gallons, and some states won't even let you bring it into your state anymore! A standard dresser, with drawers can take 10 to 15 gallons. If you want something done that is valuable, or has veneer on it, this is the most effective and safe way to do it. (safe for the wood, that is!) If you must use a paste stripper available to the public, I'd reccomend Clean Strip brand, in the can labeled "Fastest". About $27.00 a gallon around here. (Another brand, is Bix Strip, but it is very weak, and not for paint.) You brush it on an area, and let it cut the finish, and carefully scrape the residue off with a VERY DULL putty knife. To get the paint out of the grain, you must scrub it out with an "afterwash". You can mix it up yourself using acetone, denatured alcohol, and mineral spirits. A brass bristled brush works well, but scrub with the grain. You will have to add acetone as it evaporates, and it is easy to tell when you need more. It won't cut the paint! If I had to give you GOOD advise, I'd tell you to take it to someone who does this sort of work every day. There are tons of nice strip jobs done with DIY chemicals, but it is very labor intensive, and I have seen pieces that could not be saved due to many DIY rush jobs. Drop me a PM if I can help you more on the phone. Please wear goggles and long sleeves, and, of course, chemical proof gloves! Latex and nitril gloves won't last 2 minutes! jimsjinx
If you are a part time band leader, does that make you a semi-conductor? Where do all the "unguided" bombs go?
jimsjinx
Gold Member

Stripping

Post by jimsjinx »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you can use planer chips to scrub off the stripper paste after it has done most of its job. Just grab a handfull of chips, and scrub the surface. It will not look like it's gonna work at first, but keep scrubbing, and grabbing more chips, and as the paste gets thicker from evaporation, the slime will start to adhere to the chips. I learned this from Ed Feldman, one of the "Furniture Guys" on HGTV years ago.(He's a Nut!) Joe Larario was the other half of that great show. I think they had a show called "Two men in tool belts", as well. Two very smart resto guys in Philly. Good luck, and PM me anytime! jimsjinx
If you are a part time band leader, does that make you a semi-conductor? Where do all the "unguided" bombs go?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Orrrrr you can use oven cleaner(lye/caustic soda)!:D

Me I'll stick with oj acid(citrusstrip)!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scooter61
Silver Member

Post by scooter61 »

Thanks for the ideas havent started yet will let everyone know how it turns out.
Thank you jimsjinx for the offer to pm you when I start will probably do that once again thanks. :)