Cutting Board material

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Cutting Board material

Post by moggymatt »

My 10 year old daughter Amy wants to make a cutting board for her mom and we're making a 4-H project out of it. This is her research phase. She would like to know what wood is best to use? We have enough 3/4" Black walnut, Oak, Pine, plywood, or laminated partical borard for the 12" x 12" pattern she wants to follow.:D

Looking foward to the help,
Paul & Amy
Paul B
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

What fun! Pine is soft and may swell in the wet environment of a cutting board. Particle board will swell. I've seen plywood cutting boards, however you don't want to expose the end-grain, so you really cannot get real decorative. I think a pattern of Oak and Walnut would be lovely.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your time working together, making a cutting board and memories.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
bigeddy
Gold Member

When is the project needing to be done?

Post by bigeddy »

kalynzoo wrote:What fun! Pine is soft and may swell in the wet environment of a cutting board. Particle board will swell. I've seen plywood cutting boards, however you don't want to expose the end-grain, so you really cannot get real decorative. I think a pattern of Oak and Walnut would be lovely.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your time working together, making a cutting board and memories.
I live in Tumwater and I travel quite a bit. Im not sure when I will be in spokane but I have both black walnut and spaulted oak. Im sure I could spare some for a project like that. I have 2 five year old and 1 four year old grand children girls. I do projects with them for their parents so I know the joy a project like this can give. You can leave me a pm (private message) just incase. I check in everyday.
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
flatfoot
Silver Member

Post by flatfoot »

Do a little research, if expensive knives are to be used on this board you will be doing the knives a favor using the end grain. High end knives run in excess of $100/piece. I saw one not too long ago made of rock maple and another hardwood I can't remember specifically. I just looked it up again on youtube, the guy is called the woodwhisperer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8oAJs3sik

The idea of using end grain is that when the knife is drawn across the board it will be running across the wood fibers thus creating a new cut in the board ie a place for bacteria to get in. With the end grain the knife blade can sort of stay between the ends of the wood fibers which will give slightly allowing the knife blade to pass though them without any damage to knife or board.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

From the woods you have, using the oak and walnut will make a very nice and long lasting breadboard . Use a waterproof like Titebond III to assemble the parts and you won't have any problem with things separating if it gets wet. Check out this web site for some ideas and added information on breadboards -- http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/10/20 ... ew-my-mind
Art in Western Pennsylvania
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
Oak is not generally recommended for cutting boards because of the open grain. The best woods for cutting boards are maple,cherry and walnut.
Woodsmithshop (the TV program) ran a show recently that showed some cutting boards. These were a bit fancy but could be simplified for your requirements.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Hi
Oak is not generally recommended for cutting boards because of the open grain. The best woods for cutting boards are maple,cherry and walnut.
Woodsmithshop (the TV program) ran a show recently that showed some cutting boards. These were a bit fancy but could be simplified for your requirements.
Bill V

Red oak = open = bad]< I am referring to the end grain total openess of red oak.

Truth be known, wood is not a good candidate for cutting boards from a health and allergy standpoint, but have been used with minimal concern for quite some time.
[/color]
Anybody wanna address the grain orientation(all same way/alternating/random)?;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I've always used maple for cutting boards because of its closed grain. It is hard enough to stand up well to the knives without losing splinters like the softer woods.
The worst cutting board I've ever seen was plywood. Cutting on it made splinters everywhere and nobody wants that in their food.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

garys wrote:I've always used maple for cutting boards because of its closed grain. It is hard enough to stand up well to the knives without losing splinters like the softer woods.
The worst cutting board I've ever seen was plywood. Cutting on it made splinters everywhere and nobody wants that in their food.
Unless you're a beaver or a woodchuck!:D

BPR
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Depending on the thickness of your wood, another option would be to make edge grain boards. These usually require less glue-ups than end grain and are still easy on knife blades. Ideally the wood should be 1"+ thick.

I have done some in maple and they looked pretty good, nice grain.

Good luck and have fun.

John