SS Video

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ldh
Gold Member

SS Video

Post by ldh »

I can not get any of the SS free videos to play on my PC. What am I missing or are others having the same problem?
ldh
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Please take this question in the spirit in which it is intended. Have you tried ALL the videos? If you just try one of the ones for the Dec 29th session they have not been put up as links yet. Those for the Dec 8th session and earlier should work.

I am able to view them without a problem with a PC running Windows XP Professional Edition.

Some folks have had problems if they have a slow connection. Others have had problems running them on a Mac. However, I think most, if not all, of those problems have been resolved by now (except for the slow connection - the only fix for that is a faster connection).

If you can't view ANY of them then I think the problem is somewhere in your machines setup. What viewers do you have installed on your system? The latest version of Flash Player should show them.

I hope you find the answer to your problem soon. Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer a better solution. Good luck.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Leonard,
Thanks a bunch for the advice. I found that I just needed to DEFRAG the drive and reload Flash Player. I should have realized the disk needed to be DEFRAGED as I was seeing some other flaky glitches in other programs.
ldh
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

I Have Also Tried To Watch Different Videos From Shopsmith On My Pc. Always With No Luck. They Will Jerk Their Way Throiugh About 2 Minutes And Then Lock Up. I Have Calle Customer Service Two Times And They Tell Me What To Do, But So Far It Hasn't Worked. I Keep Thinking That Eventually Ss Will Sell These Video On Dvd So I And Order And Watch.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

baysidebob wrote:I Have Also Tried To Watch Different Videos From Shopsmith On My Pc. Always With No Luck. They Will Jerk Their Way Throiugh About 2 Minutes And Then Lock Up.
Since others are not having trouble it is most likely on your side, do you have the latest version of Flash? What OS are you running? How much memory do you have... I could help you debug the issue but I need more information.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

FYI-Everything works good on my end.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi baysidebob,

What kind of connection are you using? I can watch the live sawdust sessions, but I do not have much luck watching the videos. Like you, I keep getting some of it, but it locks up before getting to the end.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
W3DRM
Gold Member

Post by W3DRM »

I'm not having any problems viewing the sessions and I'm running Windows XP Professional also. Can you view any YouTube videos? If not, then perhaps it's either your system or connection.

Here's a sample Shopsmith demo on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CwpHZIlJi0U
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada --- SS 510 (new 2005), Bandsaw, Jointer, Conical & Standard sanding disks, & DC3300
Carson Valley Weather - http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi drmcroberts,

I believe MY problem viewing the videos is my connection: I do not have a good enough one. Cable is not available where I live, and satellite is not something that I am willing to pay for. My local phone company has two options when it comes to high-speed connections and I grudgingly pay for the less expensive of the two. It is good enough for me to watch the live sessions with little problem except to refresh once in a while, and it seems like everybody has to do that anyway. It also worked on the SS video that is in your YouTube link, but it is not good enough to watch the SS videos that SS puts out. The buffering does not keep up with the viewing and then it locks-up solid. I just tried again to watch the segment from last week (Dec 29) and after a little over 3 minutes, it locked-up. I left it on my computer for more than 2 hours, but it never got any further. I am sure that if I paid for better service I would have no problem.:(
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

SS Video

Post by dusty »

I'm anxious to hear what the forum has to say now. If I understand the problem, you are able to view "live" Sawdust Sessions but are unable to view the recorded sessions.

If I am not mistaken, live sessions are more demanding of the system than are the recorded sessions.

It seems to me that you may still have a setup problem. I am using a broadband connection but it is the "slowest" service available that can still be referred to as broadband (just one step better than "dial up"). I am using an ancient desk top computer than is running Windows 2000. My computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for Windows XP.

Be aware - live video employs one technology and the recorded sessions something different. On the Test Page, are you able to view both with equal success?

Live sessions come to us via Windows Media.

Recorded sessions come to us via Flash (Adobe Flash).

Upgrades to both Adobe and Windows media are available (free) online.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.