jigsaw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

jigsaw

Post by tomsalwasser »

Greetings woodworkers,

I managed to come up with a 1987 Shopsmith jigsaw. This must have been one of the last ones made. I think it will work fine but I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Are you guys using a jigsaw out there for anything special?

Best,
Tom
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tomsalwasser wrote:Greetings woodworkers,

I managed to come up with a 1987 Shopsmith jigsaw. This must have been one of the last ones made. I think it will work fine but I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Are you guys using a jigsaw out there for anything special?

Best,
Tom
I don't do a lot of work that demands a jigsaw but where one might be appropriate I use my Shopsmith scroll saw.

I have a band saw set up with a fine tooth band and I use that for most of the delicate work I do. Some jobs just can not be cut with a band saw however and that is when I park myself at the scroll saw.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

tomsalwasser wrote:Greetings woodworkers,

Best,
Tom
I removed the arm and use a stiff jig saw blade like a upside down hand held jig saw. It is light and easy to quickly mount without the upper arn and upper head assembly. I adapt (file/grind) many different straight saw blades to fit the lower blade holder depending on what I want to cut.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

I made a couple of these for Christmas gifts last year. I only used the jigsaw to make a template to use at the router table, but it's a great tool for this kind of work.
[ATTACH]12729[/ATTACH]

I got kinda lucky last year and scored a bunch of SS jigsaw blades online, but I understand that you can also purchase 5" jigsaw blades from the big box stores. If they only have pin blades then you can pull the pin off and use it that way.
Have fun with your jigsaw :) It's really cool to use. Just make sure that you have oil (non-detergent) in the reservoir.
Attachments
3dStarFinished.JPG
3dStarFinished.JPG (86.58 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Thanks guys. So I can use 5 inch blades meant for a hand held jig saw?
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks guys. So I can use 5 inch blades meant for a hand held jig saw?
Yes - with the arm removed.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks guys. So I can use 5 inch blades meant for a hand held jig saw?
You can use 5 inch pinned blades that might be used with a small coping saw. The pins come out fairly easily. HD and others also carry the plain end 5 inch blades and you don't have to mess with the blades. Many people swear by the Flying Dutchman blades found here and other places.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com