Craigslist Score Trip #2

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Well Charlese if that was his wish then we accomplished the task in spades. All of the other people I met at the sale were all very cordial and friendly as well as totally respectful of all the items they were acquiring.

I found out from my brother in law that the wood I got was mostly Mahoghany, there is one big board of Maple, and the big thick piece is Redwood. I thought I got some Cherry but it doesn't like any of it is Cherry. He was saying that the Mahoghany was really nice and would cost a ton if I were to buy it from a lumber yard. I don't really care it is wood I did not have and now I do and now I have to find some things to make out of it.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you don't already have it, now is the time to establish resaw capability. However, much of what you have is too wide to resaw on a typical bandsaw. It brings tears to have to rip something just so that I can resaw it and glue it back together.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Michael, I'll take a stab at identifying your wood, although it's kind of tough to identify by photographs and while wet.

First picture -- boards on left look wet so can't tell; on right, second longest piece looks to be maple.

Second picture -- quarter sawn, looks wet, hard to tell, but don't think it's cherry; growth rings look to be too close together for cherry.

Third picture -- looks like maple, with some curly figure, but camera flash complicates id; the smaller piece on right with arc sawn in it looks like cherry as color runs through it.

Fourth picture -- maple.

Fifth picture -- cherry; another person suggested walnut, but walnut grain would be coarser.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Michael, I'll take a stab at identifying your wood, although it's kind of tough to identify by photographs and while wet.

First picture -- boards on left look wet so can't tell; on right, second longest piece looks to be maple.

Second picture -- quarter sawn, looks wet, hard to tell, but don't think it's cherry.

Third picture -- looks like maple, but camera flash complicates id; the smaller piece on right with arc sawn in it looks like cherry as color runs through it.

Fourth picture -- maple.

Fifth picture -- cherry.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

Wow, as an amateur guitar builder, I see some fantastic guitars in that wood!
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

[quote="pennview"]Michael, I'll take a stab at identifying your wood, although it's kind of tough to identify by photographs and while wet.

First picture -- boards on left look wet so can't tell]

Thanks Art. You are correct on the maple as my brother in law said the same thing. The dark thick piece was redwood according to him. He said most of the other wood was mahogany. As I stated previously I would not know one from the other at this stage of my game. I definitely do not have any walnut as MBCabinet sent me some walnut cutlets and that is a really easy wood to identify. Is cherry dark colored or light or both? I do know that one of the thicker pieces of wood that my brother in law said was mahoghany has some gorgeous figure in it and can be seen somewhat in pic number 3. The wet wood was acquired the same day of the pics and it was raining on the ride home and the back of the truck doesn't have any cover.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

dusty wrote:If you don't already have it, now is the time to establish resaw capability. However, much of what you have is too wide to resaw on a typical bandsaw. It brings tears to have to rip something just so that I can resaw it and glue it back together.
I only have a Shopsmith Bandsaw so unless it can be cut on that then I will have to go visit my bud die Teddy who has a large bandsaw that I am certain can resaw most of that wood. I have seen some seriously nice bandsaws lately on CL and they have not been too crazy price wise but definitely too much for me at this point. Saw an 18/20" Grizzly or Powermatic recently for $1200 would have loved having that kind of vertical resaw capacity.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com