A PowerPro advantage

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

A PowerPro advantage

Post by robinson46176 »

One "BIG" side benefit I can see to the PP headstocks is not having to quickly yell across the shop "DON"T TURN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to some visitor who you have just scared the bee-jeebers out of by yelling. :D
For some reason a lot of guys see a crank and just "have" to turn it. Once in a great while I tick somebody off a little by ordering them to leave something alone. It isn't too often since I rarely let people in the shop. A BIL has a couple of young grandsons that have no idea what proper behavior is. Thankfully they are seldom here. Even less is better. I would never let them in either shop. :(
Somewhere in the old Hands-on SS showed a little strap iron lock that you could make and use to stop such turning of the handle but it was a little unhandy. I once considered making a simple cover hinged from the top to just completely cover the dial and crank handle. "Out of sight, out of mind". :rolleyes:
The old Mark VII is different but still breakable.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill