What does it fit?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

What does it fit?

Post by scollins »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Older-Shopsmith-jig ... 2310fa5b6a

What year/version of SS does this saw fit?
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

This is an early jig saw and will fit any of the MKV as far as I know. I have one and have put it on a 500, 510 and 520. Pretty tough saw.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Another thing, I have been able to pick up several of these for under $50 that are in great shape. I would look close at this one and make sure it was not run with the old bath section dry.They could leak out the oil if stored on their side and then run dry. I do not use mine too much since I was able to pick up the much larger scroll saw and then put quick release update on it.
Just my 2 cents
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

It has to be for a early 10E or 10ER. Mine does not have the pulley, it slips over the shaft.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

From the picture it appears to be an older Magna (pre-Shopsmith) model 610 Jig Saw. It will fit all Shopsmith Mark V machines. If the serial number was available, the age could be determined here:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/jigsaw.htm

There has been a fair amount of discussion of this SPT on this forum and I'm sure a search will turn up lots of information. The manual for this item is till available (a copy) and manuals show up from time to time on Ebay. There are not very many parts available, however, since it has been discontinued for quite a while.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

anmius wrote:From the picture it appears to be an older Magna (pre-Shopsmith) model 610 Jig Saw. It will fit all Shopsmith Mark V machines. If the serial number was available, the age could be determined here:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/jigsaw.htm

There has been a fair amount of discussion of this SPT on this forum and I'm sure a search will turn up lots of information. The manual for this item is till available (a copy) and manuals show up from time to time on Ebay. There are not very many parts available, however, since it has been discontinued for quite a while.
Just for the 'record', Magna IS Shopsmith! Same companie(s).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

My first reaction was that this one was pretty high but I did notice that it shows it with a Shopsmith SPT storage mount on it which cost about $42 from SS.
It seemed high to me because I got about 6 of these when I was buying a bunch of SS's a while back. Some of the ones I got with SS's had never been used. I am keeping one "new" one and several for parts down the road and an idea that I have. :rolleyes: I gave one to my son for his Greenie since when I gave it and a jointer to him I did not give him a bandsaw. These can make a number of cuts that would typically be made on a bandsaw and some that a bandsaw can not practically make. They are hardly a fine scroll saw but work fine for some heavier cutting that may be a little hard to do on a fine scroll saw.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

"Just for the 'record', Magna IS Shopsmith! Same companie(s)"

But at the time this particular jig saw was made, Shopsmith was only a trade mark owned by Magna and not a company in of itself.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

anmius wrote:"Just for the 'record', Magna IS Shopsmith! Same companie(s)"

But at the time this particular jig saw was made, Shopsmith was only a trade mark owned by Magna and not a company in of itself.

And the significance of using a previous 'trademark' as a corporate name is?

Magna was itself a trademark. There have been several corporate names that produced the Magna and Shopsmith brands. Originally the Shopsmith trademark... applied only to the 5 in one tool and Magna was the brand that was used for all the SPT's. Later corporate entities expanded the Magna brand to include other things not wood working related. In the mean time the Sawsmith was introduced. ALL these things(except the garden tools) were Shopsmith stuff.

Now we have come further around the circle and Shopsmiths are no longer made by 'Shopsmith'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Thanks for everyone's input.