Work Sharp

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I still don't think it's a good idea since you are going to have to rely an adhesive only to hold the glass wheel in place. How do you propose to hold the glass wheel onto the disk mechanically? Sandpaper on an aluminum disk is one thing, glass on metal is another thing entirely. Why not just use the sanding disk that comes with the Shopsmith for your sharpening needs? It would be a lot safer than what you are thinking about doing.

BPR
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

While I'm not really in favor of using the WS glass discs on a SS, I don't think it would be very dangerous. The glass is tempered, like that used in table tops and glass doors. The abrasives are PSA, so they would stay on vertically. IIRC the WS runs at 100 rpm, so a regular SS with speed reducer should work well. That seems like a lot of work for not very much gain.
The one drawback I see with the WS, and I have a 3000 that I use and like for most things, is that you can't put an arc or sharpen a plane blade with an arc for hogging off material. I'm not good enough freehand to do it right.
Jim in Bakersfield:D
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Can the Work Sharp grind accurately a fingernail grind on a lathe gouge? I could not find that info on their site.

I've just started to turn wood on the lathe, and I have a full setup of diamond lapidary grinders - no jigs for grinding gouges, but I think I can make them. With water coolant I can keep the tools for de-tempering. I can easily get the right wheels for my setup to run dry.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
worksharp
Bronze Member

Post by worksharp »

Hello guys, Work Sharp here.

I saw your question "Can the Work Sharp accurately a fingernail grind on a lathe gouge?" and thought I would answer.

Our current solution is to use the slotted see through wheel for lathe tools. The visibility of the tool's profile and cutting edge it great, though it still requires pratice and skill to resharpen such a challenging grind like a fingernail gouge.

Our new product development team is currently exploring a more fixtured solution for sharpening lathe tools thanks to questions and feedback such as yours.

Also, the WS3000 wheel speed is 580 RPM.

Stay Sharp!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

worksharp wrote:Hello guys, Work Sharp here.

I saw your question "Can the Work Sharp accurately a fingernail grind on a lathe gouge?" and thought I would answer.

Our current solution is to use the slotted see through wheel for lathe tools. The visibility of the tool's profile and cutting edge it great, though it still requires pratice and skill to resharpen such a challenging grind like a fingernail gouge.

Our new product development team is currently exploring a more fixtured solution for sharpening lathe tools thanks to questions and feedback such as yours.

Also, the WS3000 wheel speed is 580 RPM.

Stay Sharp!

Gee your ears must have been burning!:D Interesting to note your interest in our interest. Must be a ss freak in your office!:D

Response IS appreciated by me! Information is quite welcome, as long as sales pitch is not included!

If only others. . . .

OH! BTW How about getting Sears to repeat their 'special' that was online(very briefly) last year.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pugetsoundwa
Bronze Member

Post by pugetsoundwa »

Good intell for sure on the WS3000. Have a Northern Tool catalog with one in it. Am thinking about buying the Knife and Tool Sharpener AKA... WSKTS ..after reading a great review of it in Fish Fur and Game Magazine, as the machine is cheaper then paying for a professional job to sharpen knives.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I just bought the new Work Sharp hand held sharpener. $70 and it does a great job on knives and small tools. I even sharpened a couple of lawn mower blades I had sitting around. Quick and easy. And what is even better, it does a great job of de-rusting and polishing your old ShopSmith tubes. I just polished 12 inches of one of the lower tubes (in place) on my greenie that was rusted and had been painted over by the previous owner in about 60 seconds. Sure beat tearing down the saw, de-rusting and then mounting in some kind of lathe setup for polishing like I did on one of my other greenies. I'll probably have to buy a few extra belts to get the job done, but it will be worth the money.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
jkandreasen
Bronze Member

Post by jkandreasen »

SS has a tool that uses a sanding disk to sharpen lathe tools and regular chisels. If you use the included template, drill a couple of holes, mount the guide on the accessory table and then mount the table on the left end of the SS you can run the lathe and sharpen tools when you need to. Lathe tools dull rapidly while you are turning. Only problem is, I have to take my band saw off the SS to mount the accessory table.

Guess you can't have everything running at once.

Jim
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I had been planning on aquiring a WS3000 at some point but when visiting a local Rockler store recently, one of the guys there was steering me away from either the Tormek (which his opinion was that it ran too slowly, took too long to do the 'job') and the WorkSharp and was in favor of the OneWay Wolverine system instead which appears -- perhaps initially to be cheaper (unless you buy all the attachments up front) which uses any old bench mounted grinder.. I even asked about having a grinder that runs too fast (I've got the cheaper one speed Delta grinder -- runs at ~3450 RPM IIRC) and he indicated that wasn't a problem when you use a nice Norton white grinding disk which was 'soft' (his words)...

Anyway, anyone care to compare the two systems -- OneWay Wolverine & WorkSharp 3000? Just curious as I've not invested either way yet..
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I have both. I use the worksharp mainly for my bench chisels and hand planes it is the best for those in my opinion. I use the wolverine jig with a white stone and old hi speed grinder for my lathe tools. It works great. I just don't leave my chisels on the grinding stone for a very long time to help keep the heat down. The wolverine makes consistent bevels. I made some score marks on mine with a number to represent each of my chisels and their desirable angle. I hope this helps others will have more for you.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe