Would I be crazy?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

russsaw
Gold Member

Would I be crazy?

Post by russsaw »

I just finished restoring a 1956 Mark V and now I thinking of getting another Mark V just so that I can have multiple equipment set up at once.

I have the jointer, band saw, and belt sander attachments already.

Thing is, I found a great deal on craigslist for a mark V for $200 bucks that comes with a jig saw, whichi I have been wanting. The craigslist Mark V looks well maintained and was built in 1982.

Does anyone else here have two Mark V's? do you guys find it helpful to have to so that you can have multiple things set up? What is your set up?

Thanks for the input!
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I'm a hopeless addict. This is my shop *after* I downsized the equipment:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=6384
Chris
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

russsaw wrote:I just finished restoring a 1956 Mark V and now I thinking of getting another Mark V just so that I can have multiple equipment set up at once.

Thing is, I found a great deal on craigslist for a mark V for $200 bucks that comes with a jig saw, whichi I have been wanting. The craigslist Mark V looks well maintained and was built in 1982.

Does anyone else here have two Mark V's? do you guys find it helpful to have to so that you can have multiple things set up? What is your set up?

Thanks for the input!
At this moment, I have the Ringmaster set up on a 520 Shorty, the regular 520 is in lathe mode, the 10ER is in drill press mode and the Mini is in sanding configuration (belt sander one end, 12 in. sanding disc and ext table on the other). Oh and the Crafter's staion has the strip sander with sharpening jig mounted. It really comes down to a question of space.

BTW, I am working on the 12 Shopsmith er 12 Step Program.:p
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

russsaw wrote:I just finished restoring a 1956 Mark V and now I thinking of getting another Mark V just so that I can have multiple equipment set up at once.

Thanks for the input!

If you are crazy then I am absolutely bananas... :D :D
A couple of years ago I went on a SS spree and bought over 2 dozen of them (some better than others). I already had 2. I was kind of basing purchases a little on SPT's and accessories included.
Be advised that after you go beyond about 6 of them in the shop at once the added efficiency drops off pretty fast. :rolleyes:
I believe that one of the better things I have done is the "Push-me, Pull-me, drill press. I still have more work to do on it including some accessory shelves and of course the caster set.
[ATTACH]13460[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I have two Shopsmiths here in the U.P. One I leave set-up mostly for sawing. The other Shopsmith does most of the other tasks. This of course is not a hard & fast rule, but most often each machine is doing something different. Occasionally two people are working on projects.

At the present time I have recently upgraded my 520 to "MK7" and it is set-up to do under table shaping. My conventional Shopsmith is set-up with a rip blade. I'm making window, door, and baseboard trim for my brother-in-law's addition to his house. This is giving the Power Pro a good workout at 9500 rpm. It's really surprising at just how many board feet of wood has to be planed for a project like this.
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

Awesome.

I hesitate getting another one because it seems like it would really allow me to add only one more attachment at a time because the band saw, belt sander, and jig saw all attached at the back spindal (not sure what you call it).

I guess what I am wondering is what the optimal set up would be with 2 Mark V's and the attachments previously listed plus and disc sander and grinder. I am still not all that familiar with them as I just finished restoring the 1956 Mark V that I have.

Thanks!
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

Optimal setup...interesting question. Naturally it depends on what you get into....both myself and my wife enjoy turning. 2 of our Mark V's are usually set in that mode. 1 more for a sanding station A Mark VII for a drill Press and under Table Shaper. Still trying to figure out the SPT's. Jointer and Planer on the 2 set up as Lathes. 1 Mark V in intensive care.....Be very careful..addiction can be a dangerous thing.
Chucks in Phoenix Mark V(5), Mark VII(2),Power Pro, Planer, Crafter Station, Jointer,Bandsaw(3),Lathe Duplicator,Belt Sander,Jig Saw,DC3300(2),"Sears Router Crafter", Post Drill, Stand alone Overarm Router. Jointmatic ++++,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

russsaw wrote:Awesome.

I hesitate getting another one because it seems like it would really allow me to add only one more attachment at a time because the band saw, belt sander, and jig saw all attached at the back spindal (not sure what you call it).

I guess what I am wondering is what the optimal set up would be with 2 Mark V's and the attachments previously listed plus and disc sander and grinder. I am still not all that familiar with them as I just finished restoring the 1956 Mark V that I have.

Thanks!
FWIW, the belt sander will mount(and operate) from either end since the drive shaft exits both sides.

I predict that if you do get a second one, you will not consider it a crazy decision.

The 'logic' of multiple multi-tools seems strange, but practicality overcomes that!;)

In practice doubled flexibility more than doubles usefulness.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fiatben
Platinum Member

Go for it

Post by fiatben »

Thanks for the input!
I can't imagine NOT having two now that I do. If I could find one for $200 bucks here, I'd own a 3rd one! :)

If you think a 5-in-1 tool is convenient, well TWO of them is at least twice as much so. I leave my 510 setup pretty much for sawing and use my '55 500 for a little bit of everything, including powering most of my STPs.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Obviously, one size never fits all... That makes it impossible for any of us to ever tell another exactly what they should have in their shop or what will work for them.
About all we can do is tell what works for us or why we might make the decisions that we do even if those decisions may seem goofy to others. :D
On this forum there are those that have tiny shops and limited tools, some even under 100 sq. ft., that are quite productive (and they should be proud of what they do). Then there are others (like me) that have fairly large shops that are barely productive at all... :rolleyes: :)
We all do our thing and most of us enjoy it. Reasons, thinking, planning, wishing and demands are all over the map.
Now, about how many Shopsmiths... Some would have to hang a second one from the ceiling. Some could move in another and not notice it. If there is room I would always advise a second one. If there is still room I would be fairly quick to advise a third one. Beyond that it becomes even more of an individual thing.
While I have finally began to confess to it, I am not the only member of this forum to who the shop and tools are more enjoyable than the actual woodworking. :o

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill