Segmented Bowl/Vase Software

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gr8mesquite
Gold Member

Post by gr8mesquite »

I'd like to purchase one of the many software packages now available out there. What are some of the the key (and maybe more importantly, subtle) elements to look for. Any recommendations on "the best"?

I searched here with no succces.

Many thanks

Jerry
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

gr8mesquite wrote:I'd like to purchase one of the many software packages now available out there. What are some of the the key (and maybe more importantly, subtle) elements to look for. Any recommendations on "the best"?

I searched here with no succces.

Many thanks

Jerry
I use DeltaCad as a quick and easy 2D program for most of the CAD drawings
I need. It works well for setting up all the angles in segmented bowl turning. I use it to make small patterns with my laser printer. The learning curve for its use is not to steep making it great for my advancing years.

http://www.deltacad.com

ldh
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Post by flashbacpt »

Sorry that I did not respond sooner, but just did not see your post. Anyway, I use/know of two software programs that go hand in hand for segmented turning.
Both are very easy to use. They are used in Adult Education Turning classes in Contra Costa County, Ca. and recommended by a well known instructor/Turner, Jim Rodgers. They allow you to select your wood, the size of individual pieces, and build your segemented project layer by layer (Giving you a exact color picture of your efforts), and at the same time, giving you a exact print out showing the necessary angle cuts, etc. This program is called WOODTurner Pro.
The second program is called Lamination PRO which allows you to design your lamination pieces.

Go to http://www.woodturnerpro.com for more info.

Good luck!:)
John
FlashbacPT
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Post by flashbacpt »

I should have included this in my previous post.... To use WOODTurner Pro, one simply creates the shape of the project, enters the size of the wood pieces (ie. 3/4" thick) for each layer. The program does all the rest automatically determining angle cuts or select your preferred angle , number of pieces for each layer, the length of each piece for each layer, etc.
All that is left is for you to cut the pieces, according to the print out. There is no math involved on your part.....just design the shape, enter wood size, angle cut.

John
FlashbacPT
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I use woodturner pro also. It is a wonderful package I have all three products the 3D designer lets you create a visual image of the turned project and then you can send that image to woodturnerpro to printout the cut lists. I do recommend it. the Laninate Pro is a little harder to get started using but I is cool also.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe