belt sander direction

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

russsaw
Gold Member

belt sander direction

Post by russsaw »

Hi Forum

I just got the belt sander attachment and I think that I have something set up wrong. Every time I hook up the belt sander and turn it on the tension on the sanding belt is released by the direction of the motor. Do I have the belt sander on wrong? Is my Mark V spinning the wrong way? I seem to be missing something. Any help appreciated .. thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

russsaw wrote:Hi Forum

I just got the belt sander attachment and I think that I have something set up wrong. Every time I hook up the belt sander and turn it on the tension on the sanding belt is released by the direction of the motor. Do I have the belt sander on wrong? Is my Mark V spinning the wrong way? I seem to be missing something. Any help appreciated .. thanks

Since the belt sander has shafts on both sides, it IS possible to connect it up to run backwards.

That said, the correct run direction is so that the belt DESCENDS from the top(idler/tension) drum past the platen(backup plate) and down to the drive drum(the rubber coated one). So with a 'normal' Mark 5/V headstock, the belt sander is mounted so the platen faces the side with the speed dial etc. Reverse running is possible if the sander is mounted reversed(platen facing towards the 'back' side.

Maybe a pix of your setup will shed light on the cause of your 'issue'!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

My belt sander appears to be set up as describe. It seems that the direction of the sander belt move in the same direction as the tension knobs moves when you are loosening the tension, so that everytime I turn on the belt sander the tension on the belt releases. Does that make sense?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Russaw;
It sounds like you have the sander mounted correctly. Did you buy the sander "previously owned"? If so it possible that the previous owner had the belt tracking slip and cause a belt to shred and the fibers can get wound around the shaft. If they get tight enough it is possible for normal rotation to turn the shaft in the proper direction to release tension. Sounds to me like a disassembly and a refurb is in order.
We have a SS and a belt sander at our community woodshop and that belt sander the tension can not be rotated to release the tension, probably from a similar condition.
I will know that when I open it up but that job is in the future.

Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you properly tensioned the drum?

1) power disconnect

2) Release any existing tension by releasing the catch in the tension knob while holding the drum(so it will not rotate). Allow the knob to rotate clockwise until the catch again stops it. Repeat until all tension has been released.

3) While still preventing the drum from rotating, turn the knob until the catch engages the fourth time. This should establish the proper tension, but it depends upon the tracking adjustment parts positioning the drum properly. Nuf said about that for now unless you encounter further 'issues'.

You should be able to cause the drum to move in when pushed, and the tension spring push it back out when pressure is released. Rotating the drum should not affect the tension.

It should be necessary to push the drum in to install/remove belt. However, releasing the tension and repeating the procedure above after installing the belt makes it much easier. Make sure to align the belt before re adjusting tension.

If you are installing a new belt, adding a slight bulge to the center of the belt will help tracking. This is accomplished by added tension created by further clockwise rotation of the handle while it is running. Repeat tension adjustment(release/4 clicks etc.) after doing so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

I am gonna look into it when I get home from work. Thanks so much