PBS, how did I get through life this way?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

foxtrapper
Gold Member

PBS, how did I get through life this way?

Post by foxtrapper »

Pre-BandSaw that is (PBS).

What a wonderfully usefull tool!

Once again I was doing some woodworking projects around the house, and once again I was in PBS mode, using my circular saws and jig saws, and not having a lot of fun or nice results.

And once again, I belatedly remembered, "I have a bandsaw!". Tricky cuts that would take me 10 minutes to gnaw out crudely with the jigsaw were done in a minute, perfectly, with the bandsaw. The repeatability, the precision, the control!

Seriously, how did I live before the bandsaw? What a tool!
notlem
Gold Member

Post by notlem »

I'm convinced! I'm watching CL for one in good shape, with the table upgrade.
Notlem 1991 Mark V 510 (bought in 2011)
AZ DIY Guy's Projects
www.azdiyguy.com
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I'm in the LA area and frequently see someone listing one for $300 on CL.. I've got one that came with my SS but have NEVER used it.. That and the biscuit machine that came with it.. It's on my list of things to try out as I've got several brand-new SS blades and whatnot. I don't think anything was ever done to it in terms of carter upgrades or whatnot.
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

IMO, most of us don't need upgrades. Stock out of the box the bandsaw does just fine, and is up the tasks we will throw at it.

The closest thing I could toss in to vary that is "buy a good blade". All the bearing and guide upgrades in the world won't matter worth a shuck if the blade itself cuts poorly.