How to identify a Shopsmith...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mcclellanmadeblades wrote:CLONE! Are you kidding me? NO! I know these machines are successful and all, but to clone it!? I guess when someone comes up with a great idea, others will have to copy it in some manner. But looking at the dial, there are settings all around it, for different tools! So that kinda makes happy. A serial number would make me happier, I think I need to go look at it and see if I can find it, it could give me a little leverage on the negotiations. Now when you say clone, are we talking Chinese Clones,YES! or someone here in the U.S.ALSO trying to make something from it? By the way, it looks smooth in one of the pics which aren't great, which way does that lean toward, a Mark V?

And I've been seeing the Mark V 510 and 520, what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages to upgrading to that.Bigger tables, better rip fence etc.

One more quick question for all of you, I went on the Shopsmith web site last night, I saw the newest headstock for the Shopsmith, will that go on a Mark VYOU betcha and even a Mark 5 or a Mark 2 , provided that's what I'm looking at? I didn't have time to really check it out, but it looks high tech and super cool! I'm a gadget/tool guy, I probably should continue saving for a surface grinder, but this machine is so cool, I just feel the NEED for one! Plus I have got to get a table saw anyway, must have. So why not the SS? Actually, it's less money and you get more for your money, makes easy sense to me! It's not on Craigs list it's in a local trade magazine called the Bulletin Board, with no pics! I'll get more info that has been asked for and see if I can get pics loaded tonight,
THANKS EVERYONE, I APPRECIATE EVERYONES HELP!!! Rex

Any chance you could scan the pix in the magazine and post it?

FWIW, if you are getting it for occasional table sawing, and knife grinding, a Mark 5 or a MarkV 500 would be adequate(or a Mark 2 for that matter).

P.S. gray is inconclusive. It could be a Mark5 or a Mark VII or a Mark V 500 or even a faded Model 10 E/ER.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

There are some pictures of clone machines on this page:

http://www.nickengler.com/Forum/vanilla ... ssionID=54

Note the big hole in the legs (some clones I've seen have what look like vent louvers instead of a single big hole), the more squared motor pan, and the location of the power switch.

More info about clones here: https://sites.google.com/site/thetoolhu ... th-clones-
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

mcclellanmadeblades wrote:And I've been seeing the Mark V 510 and 520, what are the differences and advantages/disadvantages to upgrading to that.

One more quick question for all of you, I went on the Shopsmith web site last night, I saw the newest headstock for the Shopsmith, will that go on a Mark V , provided that's what I'm looking at? I didn't have time to really check it out, but it looks high tech and super cool! I'm a gadget/tool guy, I probably should continue saving for a surface grinder, but this machine is so cool, I just feel the NEED for one! Plus I have got to get a table saw anyway, must have. So why not the SS? Actually, it's less money and you get more for your money, makes easy sense to me! It's not on Craigs list it's in a local trade magazine called the Bulletin Board, with no pics! I'll get more info that has been asked for and see if I can get pics loaded tonight,
THANKS EVERYONE, I APPRECIATE EVERYONES HELP!!! Rex
The diffs between the 500,510, and the 520. Is basically the table sizes . They all have the same base unit and headstock.

The new Power Pro ugrade can be done several ways. You can obtain a DIY kit, or send your headstock case in and have SS do the upgrade or just buy the plug and play headstock.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
oledoc2u
Silver Member

Post by oledoc2u »

since I am the new guy and my 1st post, this thread has been helpful. I just inherited from a friend an SS. I am trying to identify the model so I can order manuals. I believe with the info you provided this gentleman, I have a newer model after '87. I believe the serial # is 8893360 and the model # is 505681-B. Can you guys help me as well? Thanks...
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

oledoc2u wrote:since I am the new guy and my 1st post, this thread has been helpful. I just inherited from a friend an SS. I am trying to identify the model so I can order manuals. I believe with the info you provided this gentleman, I have a newer model after '87. I believe the serial # is 8893360 and the model # is 505681-B. Can you guys help me as well? Thanks...
Model 505681-b is a jointer? Is this a serial for a jointer?

Serial number rules out after 1987, too many numbers and it doesn't match up with a possible date, i.e. based on the numbers it would be, 889 month, 33th of the month of the year 1960.

With date codes the first two numbers will be 01-12' the second 00-31 and the third 87-12 ( I think since I haven't seen a machine newer than 1998).

If you are talking a Mark V there are too many digits. Do you have pictures, here's the links to the Shopsmith site with the serial code.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/markv.htm

Keep in mind that every piece has a serial number.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

oledoc2u wrote:since I am the new guy and my 1st post, this thread has been helpful. I just inherited from a friend an SS. I am trying to identify the model so I can order manuals. I believe with the info you provided this gentleman, I have a newer model after '87. I believe the serial # is 8893360 and the model # is 505681-B. Can you guys help me as well? Thanks...

Welcome to the forum. The first thing that must be done to answer your question is verify the serial number. The number you provide has too many digits (for either a Mark V or the jointer).

What color is yours? If it is an 87, I would expect it to be a textured gray.

Is the power switch red plastic rocker switch or is it a metal toggle switch?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
oledoc2u
Silver Member

Post by oledoc2u »

I'm actually working today, and I have a few photos of the machine with me on the Iphone. I will have to take some photos and post them. You are right as I look at the photo on my phone it says jointer right on it...dah! It is gray very clean, but my photos are of the back of it. So, I will have to post those once I am off duty. Thanks, as I will get back on here later today.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have to assume the Shopsmith came with the jointer mounted to it.

The shopsmith will have a sn(or date code) mounted either on the perforated vent plate around the idler(lower) shaft or a 'sticker' also mounted to the belt cover(left end).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
oledoc2u
Silver Member

Post by oledoc2u »

JPG40504 wrote:I have to assume the Shopsmith came with the jointer mounted to it.

The shopsmith will have a sn(or date code) mounted either on the perforated vent plate around the idler(lower) shaft or a 'sticker' also mounted to the belt cover(left end).
Yes, it is mounted on the left end. I went to see it yesterday, had to work today, so I am picking it up this evening. Kind of excited. I don't do a lot of woodwork, but I do have some trim and window repairs coming up. So, hopefully this is a unit to take me into retirement. I just need to identify it, since we didn't see any manuals. I did see a planer as well, but don't think it was for the SS. It has the wooden tool holder on the front. Just didn't any photos of the front as it was against wall of the garage in storage. Thanks again...
oledoc2u
Silver Member

Post by oledoc2u »

Nothing like trying to upload from IPhone while setting running Lidar. lol
I will have to do it from home, Iphone isn't making it happen, and I can't from the dept computer. thanks again though, back to work...