Fed Ex deliveries

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Tim for the very reason you said is why I use the mail always if possible plus they deliver on saturdays and fedx doesn't here.
dusty
Platinum Member

FedEx Deliveries

Post by dusty »

Maybe we need to understand from Shopsmith's point of view why Shopsmith offers only two methods for shipping.

FedEx Ground and US Priority Mail.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I have found that FedEX seems to have better service in larger cities and UPS does a better job in the rural areas. I quite often get shipments from SS a day early here in Phoenix with FedEX while in my little shop up in the woods UPS does better. Both beat the heck out of USPS.
ldh
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

While I can appreciate Shopsmith using the carriers they use, I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe it could be done a little more efficiently. This got me to thinking about an order I received last year. The box was large, there was a lot of packing around the item and it just seemed to me it was a lot of packing for what was ordered. Anyway, that's my opinion. Have to admit one thing though: it is a great way to recycle boxes!

I do believe, however, that DVDs and CDs can be shipped using media mail. At least nothing I have received that way has come damaged.

BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hey let me pass on a good report.
I placed an order Monday (just slipping under the deadline for free shipping ) and to my pleasant surprize the Fed Ex man rang the door bell this morning with my order.

I just may warm up to mail order :o

In the past SS used UPS and it was standard for me to order on Friday and receive the package the following Friday, it was like clock work. So when I ordered on Monday I figured I wouldn't see anything until at least Monday.
But here it is ready for me to spend all day today and Saturday playing in the shop.

Oh Oh! Wife just walked in to my den and told me we are going shopping :eek: Well at least there is Saturday.
Ed
fjimp
Platinum Member

DHL Is Not New or Reliable

Post by fjimp »

DHL was fromerly called Airborne. They come to our area every other day if they are in the mood. When shipping with them we find sometimes they deliver as agreed and sometimes days late. Once in awhile the shipment is returened with a note that the shipping address was incorrect. When pushed they admit the address was in fact correct, they had lost the shipment and really didn't care to try delivering it again (what ever that means). Perfection with freight companies seems alusive at best. For my location Fed Ex Ground and UPS seem to be the best. Jim:p
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Living in a small town has it's advantages with UPS and FED EX. Both of the drivers know everyone in town and where they work. If you aren't home they just drop it off at work for you. DHL on the other hand doesn't even know there is a rural area. I had a package that was sent by DHL one time and after they had it for 30 days they dropped it in the mail. Needless to say, I don't buy anything now from company's that use DHL. I feel that how much the drivers care makes a big difference on when it gets delivered.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Most places use one or the other because they are offered a special price if they use them exclusively. No matter what service they offer someone will complain wanting the other.
At work we receive shipments each day from FedEx And UPS. In our case the FedEx order is most often received in good condition. The FedEx truck is loaded with boxes neat on the truck. UPS truck looks like a bunch of kids just tossed everything in and slammed the door shut. Boxes smashed, Product falling out the box. UPS drivers are company paid employees. Damaged boxes are not a main concern for each person who handles it. FedEx drivers own their own truck. They are personally responsible for any damage to boxes, therefore they will not accept a damaged box from anyone and so-forth up the chain.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

dusty wrote: What then results is a long list of relatively low cost items that get compiled into an enormous list. Once this happens, I look at the list and start reducing the size by eliminating the nice to have items (all of which I would have ordered if shipping those small items hadn't beed so expensive). Final result, my want list still exists, my inventory is still lacking, Shopsmith sales are not what they might have been - WE ARE ALL LOSERS.
Amen! Preach on, Brother Dusty. I am there with ya.

Tony
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi cincinnati,
cincinnati wrote:Most places use one or the other because they are offered a special price if they use them exclusively. No matter what service they offer someone will complain wanting the other.
At work we receive shipments each day from FedEx And UPS. In our case the FedEx order is most often received in good condition. The FedEx truck is loaded with boxes neat on the truck. UPS truck looks like a bunch of kids just tossed everything in and slammed the door shut. Boxes smashed, Product falling out the box. UPS drivers are company paid employees. Damaged boxes are not a main concern for each person who handles it. FedEx drivers own their own truck. They are personally responsible for any damage to boxes, therefore they will not accept a damaged box from anyone and so-forth up the chain.

From another thread http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=10447#post10447 (quote by warningintruder):
Thank you for the reply I think I will call them next time on another note I received my first order from ShopSmith a 5/8 arbor and fence mounted feather board well the package looked like it went thru a tumbler:( the feather board studs were sticking thru the sides of the box and the arbor was no longer in its original package the parts are ok but wow does Fed-X play soccer with these packages or what?
It looks like this driver is an exception?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.