New to this site and have questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A duplex!

Oh yer tenants are gonna love that machine at 0200!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

[quote="JPG40504"]The jointer is small. The bandsaw is small. The scroll saw is good. The planer is excellent! The belt sander is better than excellent! The strip sander is also good. Routing is a matter of opinion(kinda slow compared to hand held routers). Shaping is also a bit slow(molder is a different animal). Slowness is partly offset by the Mark 7 top speed.

All that said(as partly opinion) the quality and durability(and repairability if eventually needed) are good(better than much that is out there today).

Now there is no way to equate it all with a shop full of excellent stand alone tools. We would all like to drive a rolls(or be driven in one:D), but that is not attainable for most of us.

Now you asked for an opinion from 'opinionated' folks. There are also those opinions of folks with no hands on experience with any SS.

I leave it for you to decide which to 'listen' to.]

Precisely why I'm asking my questions here. My limits are space and money for shop full of excellent (expensive) stand alone machinery.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

pieceseeker wrote:What about the other tools on the new Mark 7. The router, shaper, and accessories like the planer, bandsaw, joiner, how to they rate in performance and quality compared to other brands?
My opinion of the other accessories is this. Most of the accessories are excellent for casual use. Building a project or two a year with these exceptions.
Planner is way over priced compared to what is available today. For as often as I plan my $300 delta dual speed works more than good enough. Jointer is small by most standards today. I find I work with smaller pieces because of how I was trained so it works for me but I would never turn down a larger jointer if I had the room. Bandsaw is fine but I lust over a really nice 14 or 16" standalone bandsaw.

As a lathe the Ss is great but you find nearly equal lathes for less than $1000.

As a disk sander most guys don't own one and don't know how handy it is.

As a Horizontal boring machine again most guys don't have one and about once every 5-10 years really need one.

As a shaper/router most larger routers do as good if not better job. But the cost $300+. Although you can find cheaper if you are patient.

Drum sanding is good but you can do that on a drill press.

As a drill press the SS serves me well but I always always worry that I going to break my machine because I tend to hog stuff on a drill press.

As a table saw there are short comings that I just don't like but I don't have the space for the saw I want. If I did I would have a saw in a New York minute.

I don't think anyone can deny the SS is a compromise. However it is a compromise that most of us make because of space.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

JPG40504 wrote:The SPT's have changed little over time. For the most part, all of them are compatible with the mark 7. They can be obtained used, and yes that can be a crap shoot, but all are repairable.

I do not know what brand CMS you have, but my Ridgid is presently a boat anchor(not a very good anchor either) since I cannot get a drive train part for a less than 10 yr old saw!:mad:

One caveat. Lately SS has been responding in a like manner. However most(not all) major parts are still 'in production' even for half century old models.
Backwards compatibility and repairability are one of the things I like about what I'm reading of the SS.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

pieceseeker wrote:Backwards compatibility and repairability are one of the things I like about what I'm reading of the SS.
I think you have already made up your mind. If I were you I would order the machine.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Understand the difference between Changeover and Setup.

Changeover (swapping one function for another) takes very little time. Setup (preparing your machine to make a cut or do an operation) takes longer. Setup is an issue whether you're using the most expensive standalone tool, the cheapest bench model, or anything in between. setup is also where the quality is. There are circumsatnces in which the SS excels in terms of setup.

Setup table saw for a compound miter. Leave table angles(setup) alone, change over to horizontal boring and drill dowel holes using the very same setup, change over to sander and sand the cut using the very same setup.

That being said. Be advised that the SS is a "Multi-Function Tool" and has inherent compromises. Yes, the table tilts rather than the arbor. The argument over tilt the table vs. tilt the arbor has been around for longer than SS has been made.

Table saw - As good or better than any bench top out there. Not as nice as a top of the line uni-saw or saw stop, but the 520 tables are quite large and I understand the 520 pro-fence is very good.

Lathe - as good as any medium priced midi lathe on the market. Not as nice as a Powermatic 4224, Robust American Beauty, or Oneway but you'll pay more for one of those. The new Mark 7 solves the speed range issues of previous Mark 5s, weight and tailstock stability, and tool rest stability are still issues. But these can be worked around.

Drill Press -Excellent both horizontal and vertical

12" variable speed sander - the best there is. Most 12" sanders are single speed and those are expensive.

The 11" band saw with it's 6" resaw capacity is IMHO equal to most 14" band saws on the market. Used models can be found for $100-$300. Would I love to have the space/budget for a 20" Laguna? Sure, but then I would want something bigger/stronger or smaller/more precise. Most tool people always want another tool.

The 4" jointer is on the small side. I wish a 6" or 8" was available. That being said, it is very capable and very stable.

Disclaimer:

My SS is a 1955 Mark V with a 3/4 HP motor with the original table and fence.
I have worked with 4x8 sheet goods (with assistance).

I have not used other SPTs so can't speak for them.

I do have a three cutter shaper head and have cut some profiles with that without issue.

For routing I use hand held routers.

Ultimately the decision is yours. IMHO the SS Products are more than capable and better than average tools for the home hobbyist/semi-pro wood worker. There are even a couple of professional wood workers on this site that use SS tools.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am going to try hard not to pick a fight with those who whose opinions I disagree, but I do disagree and am not fearful of saying so.

Yes, the Shopsmith is different than stand alone equipment but there are very few wood working tasks that can not be done just as well and just as easily on a Shopsmith as on stand alones.

This is possibly not the right tool for a professional carpenter or professional cabinet maker but for a non-professional hobyist it is idea.

The only Mark 5/V/7 characteristic that I could do without is the tilting table and even that is quit serviceable. You just have to get use to it and make a few mental adjustments.

Some will tell you that you can equip a stand alone shop much more cheaply than you can purchase Shopsmith and that is true but to do so you have to sacrifice in quality and versatility.

These are all personal decisions that you have to make yourself but I am very well satisfied with mine and what I paid for it. BTW, my shop is about twenty five years old and going strong. I have experienced NO breakdowns in that time.

I work in a 20' garage.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I am going to try hard not to pick a fight with those who whose opinions I disagree, but I do disagree and am not fearful of saying so.

Yes, the Shopsmith is different than stand alone equipment but there are very few wood working tasks that can not be done just as well and just as easily on a Shopsmith as on stand alones.

This is possibly not the right tool for a professional carpenter or professional cabinet maker but for a non-professional hobyist it is idea.

The only Mark 5/V/7 characteristic that I could do without is the tilting table and even that is quit serviceable. You just have to get use to it and make a few mental adjustments.

Some will tell you that you can equip a stand alone shop much more cheaply than you can purchase Shopsmith and that is true but to do so you have to sacrifice in quality and versatility.

These are all personal decisions that you have to make yourself but I am very well satisfied with mine and what I paid for it. BTW, my shop is about twenty five years old and going strong. I have experienced NO breakdowns in that time.

I work in a 20' garage.
Who ya 'disagreeing' with?:confused:;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

terrydowning wrote:Understand the difference between Changeover and Setup.

Changeover (swapping one function for another) takes very little time. Setup (preparing your machine to make a cut or do an operation) takes longer. Setup is an issue whether you're using the most expensive standalone tool, the cheapest bench model, or anything in between. setup is also where the quality is. There are circumsatnces in which the SS excels in terms of setup.

Setup table saw for a compound miter. Leave table angles(setup) alone, change over to horizontal boring and drill dowel holes using the very same setup, change over to sander and sand the cut using the very same setup.

That being said. Be advised that the SS is a "Multi-Function Tool" and has inherent compromises. Yes, the table tilts rather than the arbor. The argument over tilt the table vs. tilt the arbor has been around for longer than SS has been made.

Table saw - As good or better than any bench top out there. Not as nice as a top of the line uni-saw or saw stop, but the 520 tables are quite large and I understand the 520 pro-fence is very good.

Lathe - as good as any medium priced midi lathe on the market. Not as nice as a Powermatic 4224, Robust American Beauty, or Oneway but you'll pay more for one of those. The new Mark 7 solves the speed range issues of previous Mark 5s, weight and tailstock stability, and tool rest stability are still issues. But these can be worked around.

Drill Press -Excellent both horizontal and vertical

12" variable speed sander - the best there is. Most 12" sanders are single speed and those are expensive.

The 11" band saw with it's 6" resaw capacity is IMHO equal to most 14" band saws on the market. Used models can be found for $100-$300. Would I love to have the space/budget for a 20" Laguna? Sure, but then I would want something bigger/stronger or smaller/more precise. Most tool people always want another tool.

The 4" jointer is on the small side. I wish a 6" or 8" was available. That being said, it is very capable and very stable.

Disclaimer:

My SS is a 1955 Mark V with a 3/4 HP motor with the original table and fence.
I have worked with 4x8 sheet goods (with assistance).

I have not used other SPTs so can't speak for them.

I do have a three cutter shaper head and have cut some profiles with that without issue.

For routing I use hand held routers.

Ultimately the decision is yours. IMHO the SS Products are more than capable and better than average tools for the home hobbyist/semi-pro wood worker. There are even a couple of professional wood workers on this site that use SS tools.

I was thinking that I read on the SS site, that there is an upgrade to the lathe tool rest. In fact there are several upgrades to many of the accessories available.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

dusty wrote:I am going to try hard not to pick a fight with those who whose opinions I disagree, but I do disagree and am not fearful of saying so.

I work in a 20' garage.
Thanks Dusty for your opinion. I remember my Dad's Mark 5, it was a beautiful machine. My Dad was not computer or internet savy, and I think he was lacking the sufficient information and support which the internet gives, was a source of frustration with the machine. Not knowing how to use or even have a dial indicator for setup or for that matter the patience to persevere to get it right I think was my Dad's ultimate downfall to being happy and satisfied with such a beautiful machine. Maybe it is a little more high maintenance as far as setting up from what I read, but you can really get intimate with a machine that way. Please, no play on words here OK?