Who would like to see Strong Tool Design brought back?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

If the joint-matic was in production today under the Stong Tool Design ?

The old original Strong Tool Design was better than when it sold to Delta.
44%
22%
22%
11%

Total votes: 9

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is weird while at the same time interesting. Who originated the joint-matic and who now owns the rights? From what I have just read, it seems that Strong, Delta and Shopsmith have all had their fingers in this pie.

Now we have this individual, who reports to me the son of the original designer, contemplating a resurrection.

Unless he does a major redesign (or has permission from the current holder of the patents) I don't think he can do that. How long do patents remain in effect? The answer to that question may say it all.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote: How long do patents remain in effect? The answer to that question may say it all.
Until 1995, patents lasted 17 years from date of issue. At present, they last 20 years from date of application, IF you pay your maintenance fees.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Until 1995, patents lasted 17 years from date of issue. At present, they last 20 years from date of application, IF you pay your mintenance fees.
The joint-matic was available from Shopsmith when I bought my 510. From that, I conclude that the patent rights that Shopsmith had (if any) would have expired.

Once issued, can patent rights be extended?

BTW - CDR38 - I seriously doubt that there is a market for a new version of the joint-matic.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

An original patent cannot be extended. However, improvements to an preexisting patented design can also be patented, and patent protection for the improvements (only) can stay in force for another 20 years.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

A simple Google of Joint-Matic brings a lot of information. I also did a Google "image" search and got a small batch of pictures.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

I've heard great things about this tool. The control is supposed to be great. I haven't used it, but from a recommendation, the thing is worth getting your hands on. I've seen some come up on ebay but the shipping was a bit much. I'd like to see where this thread is going and maybe someone who owns one can do a YouTube of it in use. Supposed to offer fine control of the attached router very much like a horizontal milling machine, kinda.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think some of the responses this poster received were nasty. If they were asked to do a such a poll and do it in confidence I see no reason to be so nasty.

Frankly I think doing a poll on Shopsmith forum would probably only result in opinions from existing owners of the product. And without more information most people that are unfamiliar with the product could not begin to give an opinion.

I think the question was poorly stated and that might be the reason it was rebutted with such nasty answers.

I'm of the opinion if someone was thinking about making my woodworking easier and asked for my opinion on the product I would be happy to answer them no matter who they are. But they would have to tell me what the machine was, how it worked and how it would save me time and approx price to get a reliable answer.

Question as stated was like asking if I would buy an Estwing hammer. For everyone that ever owned one they would probably say yes. For those that never bought one they would probably say it depends on price, warantee, looks, material it is made from, head style and etc.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

He missed a VERY important response in the survey. "I don't what a joint-matic is" That's me so the other options don't apply. If it follows the trend of so many other wood working tools/gadgets, it will most likely be out of my price range for the foreseeable future.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I think some of the responses this poster received were nasty. If they were asked to do a such a poll and do it in confidence I see no reason to be so nasty.

Frankly I think doing a poll on Shopsmith forum would probably only result in opinions from existing owners of the product. And without more information most people that are unfamiliar with the product could not begin to give an opinion.

I think the question was poorly stated and that might be the reason it was rebutted with such nasty answers.

I'm of the opinion if someone was thinking about making my woodworking easier and asked for my opinion on the product I would be happy to answer them no matter who they are. But they would have to tell me what the machine was, how it worked and how it would save me time and approx price to get a reliable answer.

Question as stated was like asking if I would buy an Estwing hammer. For everyone that ever owned one they would probably say yes. For those that never bought one they would probably say it depends on price, warantee, looks, material it is made from, head style and etc.
Nasty comments? What nasty comments? I must be reading the wrong forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty