new to Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Post by tvidnoviciii »

My dad was a Seabee as well, from '71-73. Spent a year in Vietnam and a year in Diego Garcia building the first runway on the atoll. Can Do!
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

wa2crk wrote:Seabee]you will change the layout many times as your interests vary.[/B]
I have my SPT's and attachments on one wall of my garage.

The wall measures 8' from left to right but there are other areas for other tools and storage.
Build some basic storage for the major components and go from there.
Bill V
Layout also changes as the collection increases (Which it almost certainly will)
My current layout can be seen on my lumberjocks page
Essentially it's 1/3 of a 3 car garage. When working wife's car comes out and I have a 20 x 20 square to work in. It all folds/rolls up into a 6 x 20 space. Some of which is usable even with my wife's car inside.

Thanks for your service
USAF 1985 - 2000
USAFR 2000 - 2006
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Here's one I remember from Mitchener's Tales of the South Pacific. (One of my favorite books, and the basis for the musical South Pacific,)

I'm doing this from memory here;

The best thing the Navy ever did was the SeeBees, and the SeeBee's best friend was coral.

The SeeBees would dredge live coral out of the ocean, and compact it into the runways, then they'd water it a few times a day. The coral lived for a while and grew, fusing together, making a runway that was strong resilient, and water would run through it, so it wouldn't flood.

Islands that had coral, runways in a couple days, and no mud. Without coral, weeks or months, and slogging through mud the whole time.

Mitchener should know, he worked for Admiral McCain (Senator McCain's father.)

steve
fightingseabee
Gold Member

Post by fightingseabee »

wa2crk wrote:Seabee]22412[/ATTACH]

The wall measures 8' from left to right but there are other areas for other tools and storage.
Build some basic storage for the major components and go from there.
Bill V
I realize that a shop set up is all personal preference and will remain fluid over the years but you all have given me much to start with and I should have a working plan in place before I get home. also thanks for all of the Seabee talk its great hearing others stories and memories
drifter17
Silver Member

Thanks for the Inspiration guys

Post by drifter17 »

I have been going round and round over making a workbench in my shop area. I am new to the shopsmith world after being intrigued by the idea of them most of my life I finally bought a 500 with a bandsaw 3 weeks ago off craigslist here in Oklahoma for 360.00. It had several items missing but runs very well. I started watching craigslist for 510 tables to upgrade to and found a 505 with all the small items the 500 was missing for 500.00 I went to look at it at a pawnshop and armed with all of my 3 weeks worth of knowledge started pointing out everything it was missing to the guy who didn't even know how to turn it on. all said and done we settled on 345.00 for it. As im loading it he comes out of the store with a box and said all this junk goes with it. I look in the box and it is the rest of the acc. sanding disk lathe tools Ect. still in the packaging. When I got it home and looked it over it looks like its never been used inside and out serial # 04-04-03. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the floating tables and tubes that dont come with the 505.

Ps the GF came home later and said "oh you have two of them now"
lol looks like i am in for keeps. Thanks again guys for all the info on here
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. Yogi Berra
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

drifter17 wrote:I have been going round and round over making a workbench in my shop area. I am new to the shopsmith world after being intrigued by the idea of them most of my life I finally bought a 500 with a bandsaw 3 weeks ago off craigslist here in Oklahoma for 360.00. It had several items missing but runs very well. I started watching craigslist for 510 tables to upgrade to and found a 505 with all the small items the 500 was missing for 500.00 I went to look at it at a pawnshop and armed with all of my 3 weeks worth of knowledge started pointing out everything it was missing to the guy who didn't even know how to turn it on. all said and done we settled on 345.00 for it. As im loading it he comes out of the store with a box and said all this junk goes with it. I look in the box and it is the rest of the acc. sanding disk lathe tools Ect. still in the packaging. When I got it home and looked it over it looks like its never been used inside and out serial # 04-04-03. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the floating tables and tubes that dont come with the 505.

Ps the GF came home later and said "oh you have two of them now"
lol looks like i am in for keeps. Thanks again guys for all the info on here

E-Bay! Be advised there are two versions of the tables. The two versions do not mix well.

The most obvious 'detail' is the screw mounting holes in the 'front' of the rails and the use of kep nuts on the underside to secure them. Also the size of the jack screws.

GF?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

This link below will show you the difference between the pre-1986 tables and the post-1986 tables. As JPG said, you will want to match the floating tables to whatever version main/extension table you currently have.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... light=1986

JPG40504 wrote:GF?????
GF = Girlfriend
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

joshh wrote: . . .

GF = Girlfriend
Blame my 'ignorance' on 'Generation Gap'. Us old fogeys do not associate 'GFs' with live ins!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

JPG40504 wrote:Blame my 'ignorance' on 'Generation Gap'. Us old fogeys do not associate 'GFs' with live ins!:D

Times have changed for sure. I'm getting married in a little over a month. My mom told me that my fiancé should put her parents address on the wedding license...that way it won't look like we were living in sin when we were married. "If your grand kids see your marriage license...they might be embarrassed" :eek:

I only know one or two people under 35 who didn't live with at least a few girlfriends before marriage (not at the same time...times haven't changed THAT much). :D
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com