What boy wouldn't want one?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

roy_okc wrote:These would be fun for the grandchildren. Of course, I'd have to have one myself to, umm, practice with so that I could instruct on how to use. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. :D
Of course. It would be irresponsible to hand weapons over to children without extensive field testing.

Besides, it's a sure bet I'm going to have to defend myself against the little darlings.
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

idcook wrote:Ping pong balls might be the right size and soft enough, but might not travel far enough for eager young bowmen.
You would have to upscale a little, but I think Ping Pong balls would be cool.
Captain Kangaroo suffered a daily barrage, and he survived.:)

SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2

chippergal
Bronze Member

Post by chippergal »

Have you considered pom poms? They sell them at all the craft stores, they come in many sizes (I was looking at 1" pom poms on a craft store website)I'm not sure these would get much velocity, but they come in white (pretend marshmallows?) and assorted colors so they could be used to judge some sort of contest with each kid (including you <wink>) having there own color of ammo. Pretty hard to hurt anyone with pom poms.

joey (first post in a very long time!)
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

Great idea Joey. Bonnie is going to the craft store tomorrow. I'll ask her to get a few samples.

Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Yes boys will be boys. I recall something about sling shots and rocks.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dusty wrote:Yeah, it all sounds like fun until someone gets hit where it hurts with something that is not soft. The discussion of alternate munitions scares me.

Boys will be boys at least until they have to cover ER expenses.
Someone needs to keep the doctors and nurses employed. ;)
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

You might cut up a pool noodle into the right sized pieces.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Grapes.

Expensive and messy, but fun! :D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="roy_okc"]Someone needs to keep the doctors and nurses employed. ]

I don't need toys to help me do that. This has been a season of visits to doctors offices, labs and treatment rooms. Between my wife and I, over half of my fuel bill this past two months has been for diesel consumed going back and forth to the doctor(s).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:I don't need toys to help me do that. This has been a season of visits to doctors offices, labs and treatment rooms. Between my wife and I, over half of my fuel bill this past two months has been for diesel consumed going back and forth to the doctor(s).

Yep... :rolleyes: First a little thyroid problem then a bit of type 2 diabetes. That was followed by a failed heart cath and then the quadruple bypass last November. That still gets a fair amount of follow up stuff. I can't complain too much, I went over 40 years without seeing a Dr. except for insurance physicals.
Now it seems to be my wife's turn. Nothing too serious yet and we will know more about the current glitch this week. She has stayed in the system all along. She has been taking meds to control epilepsy for over 50 years.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill