The New Shop!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

The New Shop

Post by easterngray »

Thanks Fellows - I will keep the forum updated as I progress. SandyJ - the paints for the "goldie" are the Rustoleum Hammered Finish in Gold and Copper. They are a darn good match. I would enjoy seeing some pictures of your Mk. V! Jim - the RAS is steady on it's stand. I do need to build a new table - I have the MR. SAWDUST book and intend to build one to his design. Lots to do! All the best to you all, Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

Great Shop! (Actually, my first thought was "I hate you!", but that was just jelousy speaking. :D )

I just found a couple of halogen shop lights (48" long like the fluoresent) at a yard sale. They are expensive, but the light is worth it. Just something to keep in mind when you get the electric run.

From the looks of the second picture, you have a small loft above the SS for some tools. That's a great idea that I'll have to keep in mind if I ever get to build the shop I want.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

A thing of beauty is a joy forever! And your shop is great looking too! Happy Mothers Day.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Wow! Congrats on the wood shop. Mine will be the same size once it gets built except it will be on a concrete slab- sort of a two car garage - end to end. This way I can have a 40 by 12 shop if I need to expand.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I'm drooling agh.:D
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

just found a couple of halogen shop lights (48" long like the fluorescent) at a yard sale. They are expensive, but the light is worth it. Just something to keep in mind when you get the electric run.

I had them and really liked the light.....but...they give off a great deal of heat. My shop is a 9x13 room in basement and they were often uncomfortable. I also found myself replacing the bulbs far too frequently.

I switched back to a fluorescent set of lights but outfitted with full spectrum tubes. Light great for color matching, etc. No problems with heat or bulbs prematurely burning out.

Doc
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

chiroindixon wrote:... I had them and really liked the light.....but...they give off a great deal of heat. My shop is a 9x13 room in basement and they were often uncomfortable. I also found myself replacing the bulbs far too frequently.

I switched back to a fluorescent set of lights but outfitted with full spectrum tubes. Light great for color matching, etc. No problems with heat or bulbs prematurely burning out.

Doc
Always good to know what to watch out for.

I have two of the regular fluoresents and two of the halogen. The fluoresents are the full spectrum type. Wouldn't use any others and I'm glad you mentioned them.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

chiroindixon wrote:just found a couple of halogen shop lights (48" long like the fluorescent) at a yard sale. They are expensive, but the light is worth it. Just something to keep in mind when you get the electric run.

I had them and really liked the light.....but...they give off a great deal of heat. My shop is a 9x13 room in basement and they were often uncomfortable. I also found myself replacing the bulbs far too frequently.

Doc
When I redid my kitchen most of the lights were replaced with halogen, and within a week most were burned out. The electrician came back and as he was replacing them I noticed he touched the bulbs. After I said something we wore gloves to do the rest. Every one he touched burned out within a week. The ones he did not touch have been running for 8 months without issue, I will have to wait a few years to see if they last as long as they claim (10,000-12,000 hours), also most quality brands have a guarantee and if you save your receipt and package Lowes and Home Depot will replace them even several years later.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have considered halogen for both my shop, my master bath and my kitchen in each case the tremendous heat generated by the lights have driven me in another direction.

Here is Florida we usually have plenty of natural heat so to generate more doesn't seem like a good idea. :p

I'm finding the new nature friendly Fluorescent are longer lasting, more color true, contain miniscule amounts of mercury and with solid state balast/staters(versus magnetic) are really better options.

Also there are great strided being made in LED development and in some case such as focus-able work light (specific area versus general area) they have a lot to offer.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

You sure do know how to make a guy drool!

Congratulations on a great shop.

John