Beginner - Hobby

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Beginner - Hobby

Post by rjent »

Run! :D

Not a good deal IMHO
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Here is another is the area. Not sure what model it is.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5333855401.html

Edit. It's a 500.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Capertrj wrote:Just called. I asked if it included the above items. Here is the reply:

"No this is a stock mark v it has the rip fence, over sized table, saw blade arbor, and jointer. There is no floating table legs, lathe parts, drill chuck or sanding disk."
That means you would need to buy a lot of parts (all are available from Shopsmith or ebay but are $$$) and IMHO that makes this NOT a good deal for the DC, MD, VA area.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

algale wrote:
Capertrj wrote:Just called. I asked if it included the above items. Here is the reply:

"No this is a stock mark v it has the rip fence, over sized table, saw blade arbor, and jointer. There is no floating table legs, lathe parts, drill chuck or sanding disk."
That means you would need to buy a lot of parts (all are available from Shopsmith or ebay but are $$$) and IMHO that makes this NOT a good deal for the DC, MD, VA area.

Looks like it will be 300$ or so to buy all the extra parts to make each item usable.
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

ERLover wrote:I would get the greenie, bet one of the belts is broken since it is a Gilmer drive, can set it up as a dedicate DP or for the jointer and disc sander, maybe make it a shorty.
350 is a fair price and yes has the larger table so as a TS is more then adiquit unless working with very large sheet goods constantly.
What would it take to get this running? Should I inquire about this one or keep looking? What makes the greenie so good?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5307675834.html
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Capertrj wrote:
algale wrote:

Looks like it will be 300$ or so to buy all the extra parts to make each item usable.
Be patient. There's been a good number of COMPLETE 510s and even 520s priced to sell in the MD, DC, VA area over the last 3-6 months and I expect there will be again. Meanwhile, read, read, read the Forum to understand the differences between the models. I spent several months doing just that before taking the plunge.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

By 'stock' he is admitting it is a Mark V 505. However that should include the lathe parts, drill chuck and sanding disk and a miter gauge for sure!!!!.

Most likely the seller does not really know what he is selling.

At $350 it is a decent value, but not a huge bargain. Condition is more important than that stuff mentioned. It is all obtainable both new from SS or used 'elsewhere'.

As for the saw being a 'weak link', do not believe all you hear/read from naysayers who all too often have never used one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

JPG wrote:

By 'stock' he is admitting it is a Mark V 505. However that should include the lathe parts, drill chuck and sanding disk and a miter gauge for sure!!!!.

At $350 it is a decent value, but not a huge bargain. Condition is more important than that stuff mentioned. It is all obtainable both new from SS or used 'elsewhere'.

As for the saw being a 'weak link', do not believe all you hear/read from naysayers who all too often have never used one.
He sent me a pic, it definitely says 510 01-14-1994. He seems to be knowledgeable. Going with stand alone units over SS. This seems to be in good condition based off the pics. Does that out weigh the fact it is lacking accessories? Would $250 be better if he goes lower?

Thank you all for the help.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Capertrj wrote:
JPG wrote:

He sent me a pic, it definitely says 510 01-14-1994. He seems to be knowledgeable. Going with stand alone units over SS. This seems to be in good condition based off the pics. Does that out weigh the fact it is lacking accessories? Would $250 be better if he goes lower?

Thank you all for the help.
Well, he is not knowledgeable if he thinks a standard SS does not come with the above mentioned parts. Every SS comes with those things. The 505 did not come with the floating tables but everything else.

If the head stock has been maintained and the speed dial mostly works as it should the price is not bad. Since it does not have most of the standard extra parts that come with a complete machine that the seller apparently does not know about I would stand firm on $200. Of course he may think you don't know so come in from a position of strength.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Jsburger, I didn't mean to go against anything you said. Just my brief observations from the call. You're probably right. If I happen to get this unit would these parts be what I need to get it functional for all five jobs?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ackage.htm. - 201.23
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/dr_chuck.htm. - 40.49
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rgauge.htm - 104.14
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ingkit.htm - 143.24

Most of these are the packages/bundles. Would this give me the 5 tools plus the included jointer to make 6. Is there anything for horizontal boring?