Pen finishes

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Pen finishes

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I've made hundreds of pens, mostly Freedom Pens for our servicemen. CA is by far the most durable finish, but it does have certain issues... Fumes, heat, clouding if you use too much accelerator. Hint- don't use white paper towels, use the blue heavy paper towels, your fingertips will thank you! If you don't like CA try Dr.s Workshop pen finish. Very good alternative.
whitehat1994
Silver Member

Post by whitehat1994 »

I too use CA finish along with the accelerator.
I also use General Wood Turners finish and yesterday I used BLO and CA.

http://content.penturners.org/library/t ... ca-blo.pdf
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I've used Mylands friction polish which gives a lower sheen finish that I like, although probably not as hard as CA.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

The problem with friction polishes is that they all tend to be shellac based. While it can look great, hand oil and moisture will take their toll on it. Sometimes the CA finish may be too glossy and plastic looking. A gentle buff with a white scotch pad will turn it satin.
BiminiTwist
Gold Member

Post by BiminiTwist »

I recently refinished some old kitchen knives with Tru-Oil gun stock finish. They came out much better than I anticipated with little effort.

I wonder if it would be good for pens as well?
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Here is a new video by Richard Ford, turning an all wood stick pen.
He demonstrates using a "two minute finish" (shellac and boiled linseed oil),(finish starts around 27:20. looks like it would be worth a try.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdHRRmpLTk[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

ChrisNeilan wrote:The problem with friction polishes is that they all tend to be shellac based. While it can look great, hand oil and moisture will take their toll on it. Sometimes the CA finish may be too glossy and plastic looking. A gentle buff with a white scotch pad will turn it satin.
Chris: That's what people keep telling me about shellac based finishes but in 10 years of turning pens, I've never had those issues with the Shellawax. Maybe it's the formula or type of shellac they use?

Tried CA a couple of times but didn't like the finish.
Tom
Making scrap wood with style!
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I use Shellawax liquid with good results.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Haven't done any pens myself but a guy I know uses gun stock oil and they look very nice.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

So far I have only done CA finish on pens, very hard and durable but it does feel like plastic.
This evening I turned a pen to give for a raffle prize at an event we will be attending tomorrow. (slimline pen kit, walnut) and decided to try a different finish, Watco Oil. I put on about five coats, rubbing it in with a blue paper shop towel between coats and finishing with a coat of Watco Satin Wax.
twist pen walnut watco oil.JPG
twist pen walnut watco oil.JPG (242.93 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
This is also the first pen I have turned using walnut, a wood I am particularly fond of. :cool:
I am very pleased with how it turned out, looks nice and feels good in the hand.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,