Thanks to All

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Jim!Do I "hear" a little sarcasm here Jim?

I can understand why you are looking forward to retiring (already accomplished is it knot?), selling your current home and moving to Colorado! I hope that happens for you soon!

Tim,
No sir no sarcasm. I love my daughters and grandaughter becoming involved in hobbies I love. I do feel sadness when I see or hear of families that don't share interests. My wife retires in three weeks. I am not yet planning to retire. I need to work for wood. We do have a family looking at our house tomorrow for the second time. I pray they are the right folks. My wife and daughter are anxious to have this move behind us. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:Tim,
No sir no sarcasm. I love my daughters and grandaughter becoming involved in hobbies I love. I do feel sadness when I see or hear of families that don't share interests. My wife retires in three weeks. I am not yet planning to retire. I need to work for wood. We do have a family looking at our house tomorrow for the second time. I pray they are the right folks. My wife and daughter are anxious to have this move behind us. Jim
Well, Jim, I guess that having your shop at your daughters house will mean frequent visits to her house, then! Nothing wrong with that, except for gas maybe!:D Good luck with the sale to that family, and maybe it will be good timing with your wife's retirement. So, you will find the same kind of work in Colorado that you do in Virginia?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

scottss wrote:Thanks Tim. By the way hows buisiness down there? Construction up here has slowed down and in fact one of the bigger truss builders closed there doors the other day. My brother is in house construction and he missed a few weeks but has a house comming up.
Thank you for asking scottss: We were running two crews in two trucks 6 days a week for about a year when, last January, the door slammed shut. The phone stopped ringing. We barely had enough work to keep one crew going these last few months, but we started to get busy again and for the last week-and-a-half, we are back running two crews again (the same ones, as the other guys had not been able to secure other permenant work during the slow time). I hope it keeps up! :D
Tim

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

a1gutterman wrote:Well, Jim, I guess that having your shop at your daughters house will mean frequent visits to her house, then! Nothing wrong with that, except for gas maybe!:D Good luck with the sale to that family, and maybe it will be good timing with your wife's retirement. So, you will find the same kind of work in Colorado that you do in Virginia?

Tim,
Although my daughter wants the shop at her place. That won't happen. The only part of this move that I desire is a large basement for my shop and small office. The rest of the house my wife can do as she wishes.

I own my own insurance agency and have a book of business in each Colorado and Virginia. I plan to continue with the business for a few more years. I really don't desire more than about half time for work. My Mother insisted Dad retire before he was ready. I hated watching him waste away. The difference between Dad and myself is my woodworking hobby. Dad had no hobbies. Today I spent the day in my shop building jigs for compound miter cuts. Thanks Nick am nearly finished with this project. jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Way to go Jordan!
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:Tim,
...I own my own insurance agency and have a book of business in each Colorado and Virginia. I plan to continue with the business for a few more years. I really don't desire more than about half time for work. My Mother insisted Dad retire before he was ready. I hated watching him waste away. The difference between Dad and myself is my woodworking hobby. Dad had no hobbies. Today I spent the day in my shop building jigs for compound miter cuts. Thanks Nick am nearly finished with this project. jim
I know what you mean, Jim. My FIL is 80. He has been a "travelling salesman" for most of his married (approaching 60 years) life! For the last 25 years or so, he has ran his own business, as an independent rep for various companies, selling hospital supplies and equipment. He really does knot have to work, but chooses to. For the last fifteen plus years, he only covers the local area (Seattle/Tacoma) plus three or four visits annually, to Hawaii. It took him many years to generate a good business in Hawaii, as, according to him, the Hawaiian hospitals were used to sales people making one call and never returning. The Hospitals there now trust him to regularly service them, which makes it economically possible for him to make those frequent Hawaiian trips.
BTW, my FIL is a very fit 80! He runs a couple of miles daily, does not smoke, has a healthful diet, and is not a bit overweight. And he does have a favorite little bar in Wikiki!
Tim

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

The concept of retirement sounds good at first. For years I looked out of the store window wishing I could be outside doing things around the house. When I first retired, I found that the jobs around the house could best be farmed out, and completed faster. I refound my hobby, of wood crafting. Problem being, to truly afford the "hobby" I needed go get back behind the store counter, at least occasionally. Bet the story really turns out well as I enjoy by time in the shop, I like the challenge of the store (especially when it's not mine), and I still get lots of time with the kids and grandkids. When I was younger someone (a very intelligent person) said a good hobby is your best plan for retirement. He/she was certainly correct. Keep enjoying what you do.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA