510 base lock question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: 510 base lock question

Post by Mike907 »

Base Lock Knob tag
Base Lock Knob tag
Base Lock Knob.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
This tag comes on the Base Lock Knob of a new machine or Double Tilt upgrade.

Mike
bmsma
Gold Member

Post by bmsma »

Mike907 wrote:Base Lock Knob.jpgThis tag comes on the Base Lock Knob of a new machine or Double Tilt upgrade.

Mike

Now they tell me :)

thanks mike

Troy & Andrea, just two old hippies living the dream in small town oklahoma, enjoying life from the slow lane :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Has anyone told you NOT TO TURN the speed control unless the motor is turned on or you are moving the main drive shaft by hand? Well don't do that. You can cause damage to the quadrant is you do so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bmsma
Gold Member

Post by bmsma »

dusty wrote:Has anyone told you NOT TO TURN the speed control unless the motor is turned on or you are moving the main drive shaft by hand? Well don't do that. You can cause damage to the quadrant is you do so.

Dusty:
yeah and i am going thru the book as i put her back together, have it down to main frame slowly learning, cleaning, etc.

i called MotherSmith today and ordered the upgraded caster, a replacement knob that was broken and missing drill chuck and key

About bits, the brad points and forstner bits, are the shopsmith branded one any different or better than good bits of the same type that i can get locally ??

Troy & Andrea, just two old hippies living the dream in small town oklahoma, enjoying life from the slow lane :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can no longer speak with authority about the Shopsmith Brad Points not any other Shopsmith bits. I bought Shopsmith bits many years ago and literally wore them out -- mostly by over heating (aka misuse). I now have a large supply of cheap (cheapo not inexpensive) brad points and forstners that I bought at Woodcraft. Now when I sense one is dull, I trash it.

This is not my recommended procedure.

There are members here who can give you much better advise about using and not abusing forstner and brad point bits.

Slow down the drill press and do not apply force to drill holes. Let the bit do the work for you.

Sorry, long winded way to I really don't know about Shopsmith drill bits anymore. They were fantastic at one time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
azdustdevil
Bronze Member

Post by azdustdevil »

Mine is off by 1/4 inch. Sounds like a bit much.
azdustdevil
Bronze Member

Post by azdustdevil »

Mine is off by 1/4 inch...not close enough! Are the tubes twisted or out of alignment?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

azdustdevil wrote:Mine is off by 1/4 inch. Sounds like a bit much.
As it is intended to be!!!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty