What affects getting a square crosscut with the miter gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: What affects getting a square crosscut with the miter gauge

Post by Hobbyman2 »

:)
Ok ,,

Are we now talking about cross cuts ? horizontal or vertical or flat on the table against the miter gage?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote::)
Ok ,,

Are we now talking about cross cuts ? horizontal or vertical or flat on the table against the miter gage?
YES! to all. i.e. it makes no difference.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

The topic is ,,,,,how doses a out of true miter square effect a cut ?

If you are striving for close perfect cuts ,, the miter gage should be true and accurate as possible.

If you are not sure check it.

If you don't have the calibration tools to check it ,,,,,,or do not trust the tools you have ,,,,,then the table is a very reliable and will all ways duplicate the calibration ,,it can be used to set the gage for most operations .

It is a method that has been used in the trades for many many years .
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:The topic is ,,,,,how doses a out of true miter square effect a cut ?

If you are striving for close perfect cuts ,, the miter gage should be true and accurate as possible.

If you don't have the calibration tools to check it ,,,,,,or do not trust the tools you have ,,,,,then the table is a very reliable and will all ways duplicate the calibration ,,it can be used to set the gage for most operations .

It is a method that has been used in the trades for many many years
All true statements; however, many years ago the craftsmen were measuring many cuts by eye. If a cut was within 1/64" (.016"), it was considered perfect.

You can reliably utilize the miter gauge track and the edge of your table to verify it is square, if and only if you know the miter track is true and the resulting setting meets your needs.

In this discussion, it is my opinion the the word perfect should be replaced with the word acceptable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

dusty wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:The topic is ,,,,,how doses a out of true miter square effect a cut ?

It is a method that has been used in the trades for many many years
All true statements; however, many years ago the craftsmen were measuring many cuts by eye. If a cut was within 1/64" (.016"), it was considered perfect.

You can reliably utilize the miter gauge track and the edge of your table to verify it is square, if and only if you know the miter track is true and the resulting setting meets your needs.

In this discussion, it is my opinion the the word perfect should be replaced with the word acceptable.

================

Works for me ,, acceptable , is probably the best description ,,,, we know the calibration using the method can be duplicated over and over and over with the same acceptable results?

Good post
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I know it won't be for natural reasons but I suggest that "This Thread is Now Closed".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I know it won't be for natural reasons but I suggest that "This Thread is Now Closed".
I agree! He ain't listening.

I started it so let it be closed. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I agree ,, even though we never seen any proof with pictures from the counter parts of how to set your miter gage ,,,, but thats still good enough for me,,,,, the debate was just like the tale of my 2 uncles ,,,,,, one said his way was the best ,,,,and the other would argue and provide proof there are all ways 2 ways to do every thing.

A friend of my'n once said , every one is different , the best thing a friend will do for another friend is inspire them,,,, to motivate them,,,, and help them be what and who theyare .

If this thread has inspired folks to check their table alignment then this discussion has been a total success .

There are no losers here only inspiration to be safe and the best we can be.

I say thanks for all those who participated and best of luck to those who have and will read these articles .

Is that fair ?
Bill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Get a miter saw! :D
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

:)

Or a miter saw for different size stock for safety ?
20170322_170112.jpg
20170322_170112.jpg (207.92 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
;) :D