Any way to tell how old my pro planer is?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Re: Any way to tell how old my pro planer is?

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I bought my Mark V planer when they first came out before they even offered the Pro Planer. I added the 1 1/2 HP stand for it later when it was offered. I really like the handle on it like the one you have which is the same as mine. You can turn that round handle faster. Also it is much easier to zero the height lever.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

dynabase wrote:It would be nice to get some idea how old it is.
You may try contacting SS Customer Service. They were able to tell me the age of mine, but mine was made after the switch to the crank type height adjustment handle and the change to using date codes for serial numbers. I think the change to the crank handle was in 1985, so if your round handle is original, yours is at least 32 years old.

EDIT: Looking thru old Hands On Magazines and the ads, corrected when the change from round to straight handle was apparently made.
Last edited by br549 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

I have used owned and used both the pro planer and the normal Shopsmith planer or mark V mounted version. There is a significant difference in weight between the two. I usually ask the wifey to help move the unit off the stand if it is needed. I have only used/owned the pro planer with the 1 3/4 hp motor. I have no experience with the 1 1/2 hp pro planer. The Mark V mounted is much lighter and maneuverable in comparison.

I like the crank a lot more than the wheel due to ease of moving the much heavier pro planer table. The round wheel works greater on the much lighter mark V mounted planer, but it's significantly harder to adjust depth on the pro planer with it. I am assuming that is why they changed to one crank since it makes it a whole lot easier to change depth with the crank since leverage is a lot better with the longer crank.

The wheel is a bit better looking, just not as functional on the pro planer.

Some of the older mark V mounted planers have both rubber infeed and outfeed rollers. I believe all pro planets had the steel knurled infeed roller. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
John
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Mine originally had a rubber infeed roller but I upgraded to the steel one when it was offered.
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

Well I called Shopsmith and gave them my SN. They couldn't find it. The number is 02207 and they said I needed 5 numbers and zero doesn't count as a number. Must be new math.

I must have a pre historic museum quality virtual reality planer. I think I will sell it for 6 zillion dollars.

Michael
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dynabase wrote:Well I called Shopsmith and gave them my SN. They couldn't find it. The number is 02207 and they said I needed 5 numbers and zero doesn't count as a number. Must be new math.

I must have a pre historic museum quality virtual reality planer. I think I will sell it for 6 zillion dollars.

Michael
:confused: Can you post a picture of the data plate?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

This might work.
Attachments
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG (244.93 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Looks like SN 02207 to me!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Perhaps it was more who you talked to at shopsmith rather then anything else.

Anyway here is the information that indicates serial numbers for both planners.
ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 24 20.23.jpg
ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 24 20.23.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
ScreenHunter_25 Mar. 24 20.16.jpg
ScreenHunter_25 Mar. 24 20.16.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Perhaps it was more who you talked to at shopsmith rather then anything else.

Anyway here is the information that indicates pretty well when your machine was made.

ScreenHunter_25 Mar. 24 20.16.jpg

Ed
OK Ed, how does one 'get' to the SPT SN charts. I apparently have fergit. :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange