Online Military Exchange Shopping for All Veterans

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Online Military Exchange Shopping for All Veterans

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:I was just out at the star card site and it says active and retired, as of what ever it was 30 minutes ago. Now there might be other provisions if you have the proper ID which is what you need when you apply.

"You must meet eligibility requirements to receive a Military Star Card. You can apply for a card if you are currently a member of the armed services. It doesn’t matter which branch you serve. You will need a military ID or Common Access Card (CAC) to start the application process. If you are a retired member of the military, you can also apply for a Military Star Card."

quote from:

star-card/https://www.usmilitary.com/29539/the-military-

Ed
OK Ed whatever. That is the way it is NOW. You can't apply NOW because you are not eligible NOW. It is going to change after Veterans day November 11. Why do you think it should say anything different today?

I don't know why the web site didn't find you eligible. The Exchange does not maintain it's own data base. They use the DOD databases so if you have a DD214 you should be there.

Call the Exchange headquarters in Dallas and ask them all the questions you have. I am sure they will help you understand. BTW, they are open 27/7 since we have troops stationed all over the world.

800-527-6790
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The point is that they are letting you know about the post exchange part of this but there is nothing I could find that says anything else is changing. I don't get the information you get but I have followed this subject and been to the sites.

Right now I can have attempted to apply to use the exchange online. My information was not found. I was told that they were going to let me know how to get my information put in the data base..... that has not happened but your latest post had new links which I followed and attempted to get things updated for myself. Sometime this next week I should hear back from that. No idea at this point if it will be a positive or not.

BTW it appears there are a lot of missing records due to a fire and a lot that are waiting to be added to the data base which I would appear to fall into. Lots and lots of records to be entered says it may or may not happen in ones life time.

Now on to the Star Card. Nothing on their site indicating there will be changes (unlike the exchange site which is letting us know). So as of now I have found nothing indicating that in Nov. or ever that I will have the opportunity to get this card. So is it changing? When? all remain as unknowns per the information I have.

The CAC rules also show no indication that I will be able to get one and no mention of changes come in Nov.

Right now my first step is to get my infomation in DEERS. Waiting on that and have sent in my information. If that happens then I can see what if anything else become more clear.

At least they know about me as they gave me a IL drivers license with the information on it and that should be here this week too.

Ed

jsburger wrote:
reible wrote:I was just out at the star card site and it says active and retired, as of what ever it was 30 minutes ago. Now there might be other provisions if you have the proper ID which is what you need when you apply.

"You must meet eligibility requirements to receive a Military Star Card. You can apply for a card if you are currently a member of the armed services. It doesn’t matter which branch you serve. You will need a military ID or Common Access Card (CAC) to start the application process. If you are a retired member of the military, you can also apply for a Military Star Card."

quote from:

Ed
OK Ed whatever. That is the way it is NOW. You can't apply NOW because you are not eligible NOW. It is going to change after Veterans day November 11. Why do you think it should say anything different today?

I don't know why the web site didn't find you eligible. The Exchange does not maintain it's own data base. They use the DOD databases so if you have a DD214 you should be there.

Call the Exchange headquarters in Dallas and ask them all the questions you have. I am sure they will help you understand. BTW, they are open 27/7 since we have troops stationed all over the world.

800-527-6790
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:The point is that they are letting you know about the post exchange part of this but there is nothing I could find that says anything else is changing. I don't get the information you get but I have followed this subject and been to the sites.

Right now I can have attempted to apply to use the exchange online. My information was not found. I was told that they were going to let me know how to get my information put in the data base..... that has not happened but your latest post had new links which I followed and attempted to get things updated for myself. Sometime this next week I should hear back from that. No idea at this point if it will be a positive or not.

BTW it appears there are a lot of missing records due to a fire and a lot that are waiting to be added to the data base which I would appear to fall into. Lots and lots of records to be entered says it may or may not happen in ones life time.

Now on to the Star Card. Nothing on their site indicating there will be changes (unlike the exchange site which is letting us know). So as of now I have found nothing indicating that in Nov. or ever that I will have the opportunity to get this card. So is it changing? When? all remain as unknowns per the information I have.

The CAC rules also show no indication that I will be able to get one and no mention of changes come in Nov.

Right now my first step is to get my infomation in DEERS. Waiting on that and have sent in my information. If that happens then I can see what if anything else become more clear.

At least they know about me as they gave me a IL drivers license with the information on it and that should be here this week too.

Ed

jsburger wrote:

quote from:

Ed

800-527-6790
I am really confused Ed. Are you talking about the new Exchange program or the new Lowes program? With out going back and looking I thought you were having problems with registering with Lows as a veteran and getting their card for on line shopping and every day 10% discount.

You can not register with the Exchange program until after 11 Nov, that is when it starts. It is NOT in place NOW. Where is the disconnect here?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

We are on the subject of the topic of this thread. If you go to the link you posted in the very first posting it takes you to a site where you can "Fill out our secure form to establish your eligibility".

At this point I can not establish my eligibility. I don't appear to be in DEERS. I'm trying to get put in the system so that come Nov. I can then shop online. According to the page I should be eligible but there is a slight problem in that not all the records are in DEERS.

Now you brought up the military star card. I went out to look to see if I might be eligible for that. I'm not and there is no indication that come Nov. that this will change. Unlike the link you provide explaining the changes coming to the exchange there was no such link for the star card. If that is also changing I could find nothing indicating so.

I have my Lowe's card up and working and have been using it to get the discount and just recently got a dual tilt kit at a demo with it. It is working fine. I was in the data base that they use.

I recently got the IL Driver License veteran designation done (still waiting for the actual license with the Veteran designation printed on it). To do that I had to visit the vet center and have them enter my information and stamp and sign a verification to that end.

So I'm clearly in some data bases but not the one I need to be. If my attempt to fix this works then I will be in DEERS and I will return to the site you listed to verify that I do qualify. As far as I can see that is all that can be done at this time.

Now if at sometime they allow me to get a star card then I can see the advantage of free postage and would likely want one. Again there was no indication of changes coming in Nov. for this happening.

Ed
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

I just went to the PX site and it says on there any order over 49.00 is free shipping
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

wrdavis wrote:I did the sign up and because (I assume) I'm already 100% VA disabled; can shop right now. But the bummer is I checked pricing and find at least on one camera Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Digital Camera with Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth - Red is $267.99. Same camera at Amazon is $256.95. So for now not convinced there is any advantage to shopping at the online exchange. Maybe there are other things where the price is better, but not the first item I checked.
You'll most definitely want to price compare before purchasing from the Exchanges. Even though I work on and live near Tinker AFB, I rarely shop at the Exchange and usually then for unsubstantial purchases due to convenience. I don't recall ever purchasing anything online, looked a few times but always too expensive on the rare occasions that they actually carried the item I was looking for.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:We are on the subject of the topic of this thread. If you go to the link you posted in the very first posting it takes you to a site where you can "Fill out our secure form to establish your eligibility".

At this point I can not establish my eligibility. I don't appear to be in DEERS. I'm trying to get put in the system so that come Nov. I can then shop online. According to the page I should be eligible but there is a slight problem in that not all the records are in DEERS.

Now you brought up the military star card. I went out to look to see if I might be eligible for that. I'm not and there is no indication that come Nov. that this will change. Unlike the link you provide explaining the changes coming to the exchange there was no such link for the star card. If that is also changing I could find nothing indicating so.

I have my Lowe's card up and working and have been using it to get the discount and just recently got a dual tilt kit at a demo with it. It is working fine. I was in the data base that they use.

I recently got the IL Driver License veteran designation done (still waiting for the actual license with the Veteran designation printed on it). To do that I had to visit the vet center and have them enter my information and stamp and sign a verification to that end.

So I'm clearly in some data bases but not the one I need to be. If my attempt to fix this works then I will be in DEERS and I will return to the site you listed to verify that I do qualify. As far as I can see that is all that can be done at this time.

Now if at sometime they allow me to get a star card then I can see the advantage of free postage and would likely want one. Again there was no indication of changes coming in Nov. for this happening.

Ed
There is no link because you are not eligible for it now because you are not eligible to shop yet. To apply for the Star card you have to log in to the Exchange web site. You can not log in because you are not eligible yet. Once you become eligible to shop you will be able to log into the Exchange web site and there will be a link for the Exchange Credit Program. Go there and you will be able to apply. You can also go directly to the Exchange Credit Program web site but again you have to log in.

Go to this link and maybe you will get a warm fuzzy.

https://www.vetverify.org/benefit.xhtml

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the third bullet under YOUR BENEFITS INCLUDE. It says "EXCLUSIVE CREDIT OPTIONS". That means Star Card.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OK

EXCLUSIVE CREDIT OPTIONS = Star Card

I'm glad we have someone here to translate this stuff. How a common vet is going to figure this stuff out is beyond me. I'm still stuck on square one.

Thank you!

Ed
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

roy_okc wrote:
wrdavis wrote:I did the sign up and because (I assume) I'm already 100% VA disabled; can shop right now. But the bummer is I checked pricing and find at least on one camera Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Digital Camera with Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth - Red is $267.99. Same camera at Amazon is $256.95. So for now not convinced there is any advantage to shopping at the online exchange. Maybe there are other things where the price is better, but not the first item I checked.
You'll most definitely want to price compare before purchasing from the Exchanges. Even though I work on and live near Tinker AFB, I rarely shop at the Exchange and usually then for unsubstantial purchases due to convenience. I don't recall ever purchasing anything online, looked a few times but always too expensive on the rare occasions that they actually carried the item I was looking for.
I keep an eye out for their sales to buy most of the time. On various sales I have gotten some name brand athletic apparel for under $5 a piece and a 30 in. electric smoker with RF control for less than I can find the basic digital control model. I also got the DeWalt DW735X for less than $475 on sale. You just have to compare what it is and if it is on sale. They will also price match for most items. They do not price match with online only retailers like Amazon but I have price matched with WalMart, Home Depot and Lowes for various items.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sawmill wrote:I just went to the PX site and it says on there any order over 49.00 is free shipping
It is $49 or more if you use a charge card other than the Military Star card. If you use the Military Star card it is free shipping on any purchase regardless of the dollar amount.

Also if you get charged a shipping fee it is a flat rate $4.95.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT