Jointer vibration/chatter

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer vibration/chatter

Post by dusty »

Can't you just set the infeed to be coplanar with the outfeed table and then checking blade height. If set correctly, the blades (when manually rotated) should just barely touch a straight edge spanning the gap between the tables.

This however does not (IMHO) address a vibration/chatter issue.

After confirming that the blades and tables are all set properly - make certain that the blades are sharp and I do mean sharp. Planer blades should be sharper than most all of your kitchen knives. Planer blades, when properly sharpened, are down right hazardous.

When checking/adjusting blade height, make certain the all three blades are the same height (within .002" to .003"). Yes - can be very time consuming until you "get the knack".

Now you can check for chatter.

The issues that I think might cause chatter do not result in snipe.

Improper setup and poor user technique can cause snipe.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer vibration/chatter

Post by beeg »

What was the deep of cut?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob