Plow vs 4 x 4

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Plow vs 4 x 4

Post by Gene Howe »

Haven't seen a snow plow yet this winter. Minimal snow around here. And, no residential mail delivery. Our mail box sets about 2 miles from the house. Along with about 20 others. Most are locking boxes.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Dug out a hole and the post looks like I can do a temporary repair with some lag bolts. The post looks like it tilted a bit but being frozen in the ground it didn't move much. We have some warmer weather coming so maybe I can get out some clamps and slap it back together for the next few months.
20180212_111755_resized.jpg
20180212_111755_resized.jpg (264.21 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
We are open for business as shown. The door is not on yet, still have to try and turn the pin for the hinge. As it is we can watch for the truck then go get the mail as soon as it arrives. Don't want slush spray from cars to mess things up. I can bring the box in at night, well box and saw horse to keep it cleaner and safer.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Warm enough to work in the shop today with the heater running. So first up was making the pin for the mail box.

Took two tries, while I was test fitting the first one one side of the notch I had cut went outside rather then inside a broke, I was wondering why it wasn't fitting but the holes are underneath so I did not see the problem until I pulled it back out. Decided to do away with that feature as the plastic I have is not nearly as strong as that design requires.

Here is a picture of the parts, from left to right
Good part
Broken part
First attempt
Working part
20180214_153614_resized.jpg
20180214_153614_resized.jpg (156.07 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Right now the fit is tight but come summer it may not be but then I can add a washer and screw to the end to keep it in place or make a new one out of other material.

So the mail box now has a door! Good thing to as it is misting out now and rain coming in later and tomorrow so just in time.
20180214_154052_resized.jpg
20180214_154052_resized.jpg (332.6 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
If the rain lets up tomorrow I'll work on the post if not maybe in a couple of days when we get past the next cold snap.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It has been a week now but the repaired mail box and now repaired post are back in action and ready for mail on Tuesday.

Nine stainless steel 1/4" x 3-1/2" lag bolts are holding it together. This side has 5, the other 4.
20180218_124829_resized.jpg
20180218_124829_resized.jpg (487.46 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Yes it is tilted, twisted and not vertical but it is going to work until warmer weather when I can replace it.
20180218_124820_resized.jpg
20180218_124820_resized.jpg (379.14 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

With any luck the snow is over for the most part .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed
I have the same mail box. I painted mine with Fusion paint and it has held up. But the pin to lift the notification flag is worn and it no longer lets me know I have mail. I really like the copper top you painted on your.
I bought a new box same model and have it stored in the garage for when my present one gives up.

Love the box, size is perfect for most everything, mailman rarely has to carry anything to house because it will not fit in the box., the notification flag is a jewel saves trips to mailbox to see if the mail went or not.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Ed
I have the same mail box. I painted mine with Fusion paint and it has held up. But the pin to lift the notification flag is worn and it no longer lets me know I have mail. I really like the copper top you painted on your.
I bought a new box same model and have it stored in the garage for when my present one gives up.

Love the box, size is perfect for most everything, mailman rarely has to carry anything to house because it will not fit in the box., the notification flag is a jewel saves trips to mailbox to see if the mail went or not.
You can buy a kit that will repair the flag. I don't get mail every day so there are days that the mail person would not stop. If there was mail in the box, in the box it would stay. So, I mixed mine. ;)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes we love our mail box as well, the added size makes a difference and it has saved the mail person a lot of steps over the years. Just yesterday it contained a package of 9 t-shirts as well as our mail. One of the "normal" size boxes would have never been able to fit all of that.

One of my sons like to joke about the durability of our "copper top" mail box.

The red flag had faded so that was also repainted. We have not had any issues with the box other then the snow plow. When I went to see the prices on these they have gone up so having a spare is most likely a good investment. I might just get a new one too, then use the old one in the backyard for gardening tools etc. We have two old metal ones back there already. One is where my wife stores her clothes pins for hanging out, yes people still do that.

This time of year we can see the flag from the house but come summer the leaves obscure the view. Of course high snow banks also limits the view but thankfully that should be over for this year.

Ed

Ed in Tampa wrote:Ed

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I was out shopping at Menard's (yes they are having another 11% sale) I got this:
20180224_104015_resized.jpg
20180224_104015_resized.jpg (228.47 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Shown inverted. You put a scrap piece of 4 x 4 then drive it in the ground, no digging required. This one is 24" deep which was the shorter one they sell. Once the frost is out of the ground I see how well it drives in.

The present post is going to be a pain to remove so I might mover over a foot or so and then cut the old post flat to the ground and let nature take is course.

Anyone use one of these and if so what did you think?

I'm wondering how easy it will be to get it to go straight, not a fan of tipped mail boxes.

Ed
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Ours was snapped off about a foot above the ground, so I cut a bevel on the top of the stump, drilled some holes and carriage-bolted on a new 4x4 behind it. It moved the box post back 3 1/2", but it's still well within PO regs.

Our plow didn't stop ... we found the carnage in the morning :mad: .