THE MOTHER OF ALL WOODWORKING TOOLS!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: THE MOTHER OF ALL WOODWORKING TOOLS!

Post by Ed in Tampa »

How quickly forum threads change subjects. This and other threads were started talking about a major YouTube producer using a Shopsmith to help finish the inside work in his self built home.

So far Jesse the YouTube producer has nothing but good things to say about the Shopsmith. He does very precise work and is very particular about how to do it, so him raving about how well engineered the Shopsmith is a real plus for the machine.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I would not want to start the bandsaw,strip sander or the belt sander at 3450 RPM. Very interesting things will happen. Starting the bandsaw at 3450 RPM would have the bandsaw blade run at nearly 10,000 feet per minute. :eek: Even running the bandsaw at 1500 RPM would yield a blade speed of about 4500 FPM which, IMHO, is a bit too high.
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Bill makes a good point on the safety of not returning the speed control to low RPM depending on what accessory is connected. I have seen this debated before on the forum. In addition, while it may technically be possible to not change the speed control on power off->power on, isn't there some benefit to returning it to low RPM? For example, if you mostly use high RPM functions and leave the speed control set to high RPM, you are not exercising the speed control and sheaves so they could more easily freeze in position, right? Out of habit, I have always returned the speed control to low RPM before powering off. I would hope that I am keeping the sheaves in good working order for smooth operation in the future by doing so. Or am I fooling myself???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I did this - starting the bandsaw at 3450RPM..believe me-you know something is wrong pretty quickly haha.

Now with new tires and blade- i wont do it again :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The FIRST step in setting up a SPT needs to be setting the proper speed. Then all this bad stuff neverhappens. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:The FIRST step in setting up a SPT needs to be setting the proper speed. Then all this bad stuff neverhappens. :)
Not to be complicit in helping to derail this thread I must Say

AMEN!

To JPG's reply. Now can we get back to subject, the promotion of Shopsmith by a youtuber with over 400,000 subscribers. Think about it rave free advertising to 400,000 focused viewers.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
JPG wrote:The FIRST step in setting up a SPT needs to be setting the proper speed. Then all this bad stuff neverhappens. :)
Not to be complicit in helping to derail this thread I must Say

AMEN!

To JPG's reply. Now can we get back to subject, the promotion of Shopsmith by a youtuber with over 400,000 subscribers. Think about it rave free advertising to 400,000 focused viewers.
Well, now that you put it that way ...

WOW!!!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I welcome Shopsmith content being added online. I am a bit in amazement in the growth of his YouTube channel (stats below). Given this kind of following, and presumably with Patreon supporters as well, I sincerely hope one of his patrons can gift him with a Steadicam (or similar) stabilizing gimbal mount for his camera in the not too distant future. Personally I have never been able to make it through more than a few minutes of one of his videos due to the jerky video and rapid pans whenever he captures video while walking around...
PURE.jpg
PURE.jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 9383 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor