Headstock Slow Speed too Fast

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gio800
Gold Member

Re: Headstock Slow Speed too Fast

Post by Gio800 »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:14 pm Ok, I'll bite on this one. What are the advantages of using a link belt on a Mark V? As I understand it, the marketing for link belts promote lower vibration from their use. However, I have seen woodworking discussions on them on other forums and the conclusion often is that they only offer a benefit when the motor mount is a gravity type design. Vibration is much lower for a link belt, e.g. when used on a table saw where the motor weight holds belt tension due to gravity. When the motor is a fixed mount it is my understanding that they offer no less vibration than the equivalent V belt. The Mark V would be this latter case and presumably has no less vibration with a link belt. Disadvantages are that links do break, but repairs are easy. Also, they can be noisier than an equivalent V belt. Of course when a V belt replacement isn't handy, etc. I get that link belts offer an advantage. Just surprised to see discussion of link belts from time to time on this forum. IMHO I don't see much benefit to using them on a Mark V. Comments?
I agree. I saw or heard no difference in the running of all the belts.
1982 Mark V 500 w/2 bandsaws(cast iron and aluminum table), power station, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw and lathe duplicator.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock Slow Speed too Fast

Post by RFGuy »

Gio800 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:22 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:14 pm What are the advantages of using a link belt on a Mark V?
I agree. I saw or heard no difference in the running of all the belts.
Thanks...good to know and appreciate your feedback.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor