New

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

turdwhiffle
Bronze Member

Welcome

Post by turdwhiffle »

Welcome Wooddan,

I am new to the SS world and can't give much advice but I can attest to the huge amount of knowledge and expertise on this forum and from the ShopSmith website. I found my SS (made in 1956) in the basement of a someone's home and they said it "didn't work". I got it for nearly nothing, took it home and took it all apart and then re-assembled it, lubing, fixing and cleaning as I went. It works great and I am learning how to use it. I especially like to use the lathe and make piles of chips and sawdust whenever I can.

You won't regret having the SS. They grow on you. I found another SS that "doesn't work" and plan to rescue it as soon as I can. If I am lucky I will have 2 of them to play with.

TC
rubberneck
Gold Member

Post by rubberneck »

Welcome to the woodworking Vortex! Ditto on the above. If you don't have the "Power Tool woodworking for everyone" book you can check it out from most public libraries, if they your local library doesn't have a copy ask for an inter library loan. That book is loaded with great information and after using my Shopsmith for 25 years now I still refer back to it from time to time. Be safe and enjoy you brand new machine!