Rip Fence - Right Side or Left Side

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

I also set the fence to the right. I'm right handed and I feel as if I have more control this way. I just don't feel comfortable with it on the left and then I start to think that it isn't safe for me on the left side.
dusty
Platinum Member

Rip Fence -Right Side or Left Side

Post by dusty »

If I put the fence on the left side of the blade, feeding stock to be ripped requires that you push stock to the left (against the fence) and through the blade. This means, you are pushing from the right side toward the fence (on the left) and across the blade.

This is when my hearts starts to pound - when I look straight into that blade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If I put the fence on the left side of the blade, feeding stock to be ripped requires that you push stock to the left (against the fence) and through the blade. This means, you are pushing from the right side toward the fence (on the left) and across the blade.

This is when my heart starts to pound - when I look straight into that blade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:If I put the fence on the left side of the blade, feeding stock to be ripped requires that you push stock to the left (against the fence) and through the blade. This means, you are pushing from the right side toward the fence (on the left) and across the blade.

This is when my heart starts to pound - when I look straight into that blade.
But Dusty lets turn this around - If I put the fence on the right side of the blade, feeding stock to be ripped requires that you push stock to the right (against the fence) and through the blade. This means, you are pushing from the left side toward the fence (on the right) and not necessarilyacross the blade.

See - there is no need to reach across the blade (while turning) for any reason. Unless, of course you like to see flesh fly.

Let's look at this conundrum a different way. Let's say it is given - you are ripping - the fence is on the right side of the blade. The question is: which piece of the ripped board do you want for your result? Is it the part between the fence and the saw, or is it the piece on the free side of the blade? The only correct answer is - whichever piece you set up for.

It's all a matter of how you set up for the cut. And it is all personal preference. Sometimes we get into habits, these habits become paradigms, and we think these habits are the way things MUST be done. I'm sure this is the case with your friends. Actually one can work from both sides of the blade with equal ease. That is why they make feather boards to go either way, and the Fence Straddling push tool to fit either side of the fence.

Today I think I made almost all my ripping cuts on the right side of the saw and the cross cuts from the left side. (Or was it the other way around?) I have a sacrificial rip fence that fits on either side of the fence. It is made from a 2X4 and has sacrificial arcs on both sides of the wood. It has been around for years!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I think Charlese has concluded, now that all of the opinions have been recorded, that there is NO specific basis in SAFETY to declare that the task of ripping must be done with the fence on one side of the blade or the other. Either way is equally safe or unsafe depending on your point of view.

At least I think that is what the conjecture is??

Good, that means that I can continue to do it the way I have always done it - the way that feels most comfortable for me at the time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The real question should be where do you stand when ripping. If you rip with the fence on the right side of the blade is your body to right or left side of the blade? Sadly I think in most cases the body is either directly in front of the blade or slightly to the left of it when the rip fence is on the right side of the blade.

To be done correctly your body should be on the same side of the blade as the fence that way you never reach across the blade. That means if the fence is on the right side and your on the right side you must use your left hand to guide the wood something most people don't like to do. Therefore they stand to the left of the blade using their right hand to guide the wood and in doing so they reach across the blade or put themselves directly in front of the blade both of which is very very dangerous.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ed in tampa

You are so correct. Check the photos on page 30, last page of Chapter 2, in PTWFE, 4th edition. These photos depict exactly what you are advocating.

Do I do this?....No. After many years of complacency, I have developed the bad habit of letting myself slide over to the left so that I find myself very near directly behind the blade.

This is all contrary to what I was taught in school but then in school I was never allowed in the shop by myself. The table saw, router and jointer were all buddy zones meaning you did no work without a safety partner.

There were similar zones in the machine shop; the break and the press being two that come to mind immediately.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

RE: body position

I guess you have to ask yourself a few questions when thinking about this subject. First, no one wants a kick-backs to happen, well no one it their right mind anyway. Second we know they happen. Now we know that the kick-back is going to happen to the piece of wood between the blade and the fence.... so where do you want your body??

Exceptions to this? Yes. We also know that the wider work pieces (between the blade and fence) (like cutting sheet goods) you might well have no choice of body position.

Of course there is common sence that says if it doesn't look safe or you don't feel safe doing it that way then don't do it. Look though the manual and the PTWFE tips and ideas. Start on page 6 and then the following few pages and check some of the hand/arm positions and the use of push sticks and other safety related products.

Ed
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I guess it depends what you feel the most comfortable with whether or not you want the rip fence on the right or left side. I put mine on the right since I'm right handed. No reason why, it just feels more natural to me.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The original question was: Is there a right side or a wrong side for one to place the rip fence and I think the conclusion is NO.

The users who have responded have basically said they put it where they do because it feels right.

Noone has stated that they do what they do because it is more or less safe that some other method.

I guess that sort of answers the question.

Wherever you put the rip fence, please be ever cautious and mindful of the fact that this tool can be dangerous. Use it with that in mind while applying some common sense along with the safety rules that are cited in the manual.

Read the manual.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty