Table Saw guards old versus new help

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OK looks like it is posted already so that is done....

Ed
billboyle2
Bronze Member

Post by billboyle2 »

MikeG--that literature is helpful. Thanks. I didn't have that paperwork in any of the loose leaf binders my father kept.

It is certainly possible that the extension bracket is still in the garage somewhere. It may have been overlooked, not knowing what it was. I'll continue to look for it.

Reible--A close up photo of the extension bracket will be helpful. If worst comes to worst ...I'll fabricate one. ;)
billboyle2
Bronze Member

Post by billboyle2 »

Well, I'm certain after reading the literature provided above the missing extension bracket is PN 507183. The Company doesn't offer them according to the catalog. So, I've been searching on-line and came up with nothing--not even Ebay. :(

I've also looked in every draw, cabinet and shelf in my garage and can't find this bracket. I conclude that it's long gone.

If I'm going to use the table saw, I may be relegated to getting the newer see through guard system.

Have any of you done this with you older Mark Vs? How does the see-thru plastic top guard compare to the older cast aluminum version (506167)? Does the splitter work smoothly? Thanks in advance.

Bill
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I installed the upgrade system several years ago. The installation wasn't too bad as I recall drilling and tapping is required though. IMHO, the splitter is a hassle. It is part of the mounting system and attaches at the back of the table on a plastic dovetailed mounting bracket that sticks easily and doesn't slide well and makes it is difficult to align. The hold down screw sticks out and is easily bent. I've straightened that bolt numerous times and replaced twice. I never had the aluminum one so I can't offer a comparison. But at $227 it's bit on the pricey side. If you are planning on using the SS regularly as a table saw, my advice is to pursue used components for a 510/520 upgrade. Larger table, better fence, better design on the safety components with a riving knife (rather than a splitter) directly behind the blade, better design on the guard mounting and better dust collection. Just my thoughts on it, take this free advice for what it is worth.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX