Johnsons wax in the UK?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tunznath
Gold Member

wax in the UK

Post by tunznath »

Hi
Try to see if you can get original Liberon furniture wax - think mine came from Rolfes Traditional Ironmongers - BTW they dont have anything like it in Portugal Either - thats why I got the liberon , also try craft-supplies dot com or dot co dot UK they have shopsmith spares and accesories in the UK.

hope this helps Nath
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jm51 wrote:I found this, will it do?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Briwax-Original-Wax-400-grams-/390123113711?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item5ad5264cef

Briwax Original Wax Polish - 400 grams

Briwax Original is a blend of Beeswax and Carnauba waxes to give an instant natural sheen to bare wood or over Sanding Sealer. Ideal for wood carvings and turned wood, for floors and skirtings. Briwax cleans and protects wood, tiles, metalwork, marble and melamine etc. Available in clear, which maintains the natural colour of the wood, and three wood shades to stain and wax in one operation. Briwax is extensively used in the pine furniture industry. Originally formulated by Henry Flack, Briwax is a long established finishing wax traditionally used by the pine trade.
A soft fast drying wax it is ideal for quick turn around work.
Available in various shades it will stain and finish in one application, although more than one coat may be needed on bare timber to achieve a full gloss finish if desired.

Worth a try! If it has enough carnauba, it should work - so does shoe polish!

I have used min-wax 'finishing' wax and it works almost as well. I have also used the johnson's to finish wood as well.

So it might work! Do let us know.

FWIW the finishing wax I used was firmer(in the can) than the johnson's. Trewax is also quite soft. The johnson's will liquify if allowed to get too hot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Well, we have the same problem here in Canada. No SCJohnson paste wax.
I took their phone number in Canada from their web site and spoke with a representative who told me that Johnson paste wax was taken off the market here in Canada in 2000. The only solution we have right now is to buy it by mail from a retailer in the US. I asked twice why was it taken out of stores here in Canada, but she did not know the answer to that.
She told me that she was going to report my complaint to marketing.
What good will it do ? Only the ''Future'' will tell.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:Worth a try! If it has enough carnauba, it should work - so does shoe polish!

And for those picturing ugly brown or black way tubes shoe polish can be bought in "clear". :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

camerio wrote:Well, we have the same problem here in Canada. No SCJohnson paste wax.
I took their phone number in Canada from their web site and spoke with a representative who told me that Johnson paste wax was taken off the market here in Canada in 2000. The only solution we have right now is to buy it by mail from a retailer in the US. I asked twice why was it taken out of stores here in Canada, but she did not know the answer to that.
She told me that she was going to report my complaint to marketing.
What good will it do ? Only the ''Future'' will tell.

If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that the 'original' formula floor wax is slippery and big brother considers it a safety hazard.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Johnson paste wax seems to have been discontinued. It may still be available directly from SC Johnson.
Try this link http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

I notice that Shopsmith now sells TreWax clear paste wax (part no. 50649) instead of the Johnson paste wax.

I bought a can of the TreWax clear paste wax at a local Ace hardware here in Victoria, B.C. a couple of weeks ago.

The TreWax site http://www.trewax.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=locate says it is available at Ace Hardware, Acme Hardware, doitbest.com, Home Hardware, TrueValue and Aubuchon Hardware and has a store locator to help track it down.

Happy hunting.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,