bandsaw tension

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Two things: 1) after last BS cut, loosen the post and drop it all the way down to the table, & backoff the blade tension (ex.: 6 turns for the 5/8 blade); 2) remove Power Coupler.
Well, really three things: 3) take piece of painter's masking tape with "Backed Off 6 Turns" written in bold marker on it from where it was stuck up-side down to the BS cover over to the side, and stick it right-side-up to the aluminum blade cover at the bottom of the post- sitting all the way down- where it will be impossible to adjust the post without moving the tape.
The painter's tape is terrific. It is very visible, big, cheeeeep, and reliably sticky (I'm guessing good for about 20 stick-unsticks). And you cannot forget to retension.

I wonder-- has anyone NOT taken off the Power Coupler? What must it be like to have a band saw blade DEtensioned, then set the speed to 10,000 for routing and turn the sucker on- with the BS still attached!!
Holy Molie!!
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

A friend with a 500 did a similar thing. He tried to turn the speed up for table sawing with the bandsaw connected ( and I think tensioned as well). The bandsaw threw off the blade and lower wheel tire. The tire instantly wrapped around the axle and stopped everything abruptly. The shock caused his idler shaft to shift sideways jamming the poly v belt into the casing and the drive v belt to be jammed securely down into the variable pulley, Very Exciting for a moment. :eek:

He was not familiar with the inner workings, so called me. We opened up, put everything back, snugged up and fortunately, no permanent damage seems to have been done. The tire was glued back on and even the bandsaw is fine. The thrown blade did not cut the cover. Phew! :p
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
tonybal
Bronze Member

Post by tonybal »

I have owned a used (previously enjoyed) SS bandsaw for several years & only use it occasionally. I have never released the tension on it. It still seems to work fine. What damage am I causing by doing this. P.S. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread. I just thought this could be a little side note.:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tonybal wrote:I have owned a used (previously enjoyed) SS bandsaw for several years & only use it occasionally. I have never released the tension on it. It still seems to work fine. What damage am I causing by doing this. P.S. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread. I just thought this could be a little side note.:D
The "theory" states that the upper wheel will begin to tilt inward (at the top) which causes the blade to track incorrectly.

I don't buy it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I release the tension all the time when I'm done with the BS. I doit so I don't get indentations in the tires, and maybe pull the upper wheel alignment out. I also think it relieves the stress on the blade too.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The reason is to release the tension on the upper wheel mount and tension bar(spring). Over extended time(these things do last for multiple-decades) under tension, the metal will gradually deform...
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange