What is JPW

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

cincinnati wrote:Lowe's and Home depot stocks it. Around here Lowe's was a couple bucks cheaper. Located in the cleaning section (Mops, brooms, Buckets etc....)
Around Here HD now stocks it again (within the last year) while Lowe's does not.

I still have a significant amount in the minwax can, so no need to rush out and buy more wax.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

pennview wrote:I've used Minwax Finishing Wax for years on the Shopsmith without any issues, but that may change as the Minwax has gone missing. While searching for it, I came across some Johnsons, so unless the Minwax turns up, I'll be using Johnsons for a while. I doubt if there's much difference though.
As luck would have it, I have a can of each sitting beside me. Minwax is a little softer, and is more expensive.
Both do the job.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:As luck would have it, I have a can of each sitting beside me. Minwax is a little softer, and is more expensive.
Both do the job.
Now that is interesting! The opposite of my observation.:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

JPG40504 wrote:Now that is interesting! The opposite of my observation.:confused:
So is your observation that neither do the job?:D :D
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mountainbreeze wrote:So is your observation that neither do the job?:D :D
M 'softer' than J.;) My M is firmer than J.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I don't know whether they still make it or not, but Minwax made what they called Liquid Finishing Wax. It came in a metal container like that used for linseed oil or wiping varnish. The Liquid variety had quite a bit of solvent in it so that you could pour it (sort of) out of the container. I still have a container of the stuff, but haven't used it for a long time.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: What is JPW

Post by nuhobby »

Well, I was on a different forum today, and it's reported that JPW is going away:

https://umgf.com/no-more-sc-johnson-s-p ... 18826.html

Interesting!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Never had trouble find Johnson's and Minwax just isn't carried around here that I can tell. And I never considered there was a difference.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

When I bought my new 510 in 1996 SS was supplying Trewax then. I still have about 1/2 of the original can. If you look at the MSDS' of JPW, Minwax and Trewax they are essentially the same.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

jsburger wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:39 pm When I bought my new 510 in 1996 SS was supplying Trewax then. I still have about 1/2 of the original can. If you look at the MSDS' of JPW, Minwax and Trewax they are essentially the same.
Same here. When I ordered the wax from Shopsmith years ago they sent me a can of Trewax. They all seem to work the same. Use whatever you find on the shelves of the stores.