Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:As is usual for your work that is gorgeous. :) :cool:
Thank you JPG. The original 1947 manual graphics were not all that good so there was only minimal editing possible. Some images are just not there with quality to start with in the Preliminary Manual, even though John Burger scanned it in higher resolution for me. It was a 70 year old document that has faded a good bit.

Neither of the two above were from that manual, but will be part of the Appendices I am adding to it to supplement it.

I feel somewhat like the folks who released Star Wars. I released a revised 10ER manual, followed by a 10E manual, then revised both and re-released them, and now I am working on the Preliminary Manual.

Never planned it that way, it was just the way it presented itself.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:
JPG wrote:As is usual for your work that is gorgeous. :) :cool:
Thank you JPG. The original 1947 manual graphics were not all that good so there was only minimal editing possible. Some images are just not there with quality to start with in the Preliminary Manual, even though John Burger scanned it in higher resolution for me. It was a 70 year old document that has faded a good bit.

Neither of the two above were from that manual, but will be part of the Appendices I am adding to it to supplement it.

I feel somewhat like the folks who released Star Wars. I released a revised 10ER manual, followed by a 10E manual, then revised both and re-released them, and now I am working on the Preliminary Manual.

Never planned it that way, it was just the way it presented itself.

Everett
I got the manual on eBay. I don't remember the price but it was in line with most of the 10ER manuals as I remember. I don't think the seller knew what he had. I snapped it up immediately. It is the only one I have ever seen.

I have unbent the original staples a few times to scan it in and then reinstalled the original staples. The last time was when Everett wanted a different scan. I will not put the staples back in until he finishes the revised manual just in case he needs another scan of something. Then it will remain whole forever. Maybe I will make a shadow box for it like I did for the copy of PTWFE that was owned by Hans Goldschmidt. Yes, I will make a shadow box. I never thought about it before but the whole build just popped into my mind. Everett has provided a copy of the manual and the original will be preserved
Attachments
DSCF1199 (480x640).jpg
DSCF1199 (480x640).jpg (179.75 KiB) Viewed 24014 times
DSCF1121 (640x480).jpg
DSCF1121 (640x480).jpg (197.87 KiB) Viewed 24014 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

'Early manual' = 23 pages?

Sample 'enhanced' page.
10E early manual pix.jpg
10E early manual pix.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 24008 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:'Early manual' = 23 pages?

Sample 'enhanced' page.
10E early manual pix.jpg
First manual I think. Yes 23 pages. Do you have one? Mine is an original. Those are the pictures in my original. What is your point?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:

Sample 'enhanced' page.
10E early manual pix.jpg
First manual I think. Yes 23 pages. Do you have one? Mine is an original. Those are the pictures in my original. What is your point?
I am assuming what I have was from you as a source. I wanted to verify that.

As for the pix, I played around with my digital copy.

'original looked like:
clipboard.jpg
clipboard.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 23994 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Sample 'enhanced' page.
10E early manual pix.jpg
I am assuming what I have was from you as a source. I wanted to verify that.

As for the pix, I played around with my digital copy.

'original looked like:
clipboard.jpg
OK
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John, and JPG

I was restoring FIG. 6 from the manual when you posted FIG. 2 above, enhanced.

FIG. 6 is the same quality as FIG. 2 from the manual. This is about 1/3 the size of the file I am working on, I just had to reduce it drastically to post it in the forum.

It takes time to restore, especially when the image is in poor shape. I will give you an example. I am doing what I can to make them better, much the same as we do for the machines themselves.

Using that analogy, I just cleaned the old girl up, polished and waxed the way tubes, and gave her a new belt..... which is pretty much all you do to the 70 year old machines anyway.

You two have been so much help scanning the pages of the old manuals for the manuals that I have restored. John has a preliminary working copy of the Preliminary Manual that he is proof-reading for me (less all the images) which I am still working on.

Work is busy, so I don't know how quickly I am going to get finished on this manual restoration.

Kindest regards,

Everett
FIG 6 Cleaned New Labels WayTubes Polished  New Labels  Small.png
FIG 6 Cleaned New Labels WayTubes Polished New Labels Small.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 23954 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John and JPG,

Here's my rendering of the FIG. 2 after edits. I started with that very faded drawing you posted.

One thing you will note that is very different than the original is that my Carriage actually has holes in it that would allow the table to be inserted unlike the 1947 original!

I almost would have loved to a been a fly on the wall so to speak back in 1947 when Hans noticed that after the machines with them had begun flying out the door with that error in the preliminary manual drawing.

Everett
FIG 2 Cleaned Up - Polished WayTubes - Labels - Added Holes for Table in Carriage (Small).png
FIG 2 Cleaned Up - Polished WayTubes - Labels - Added Holes for Table in Carriage (Small).png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 23908 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Missed that, but did notice the lack of a medallion.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

Everett

The work you do is amazing. I just read about a fellow needing a Mark VII manual and you have already restored that manual and gave it away free.

You did the 10E and 10ER manuals previously and are working on the 10 Preliminary Manual now with those examples in the prior postings.

Someday when you have a chance, I bet most of us would love to see a side by side before and after drawing. I know I would, if it's not too much trouble.

Lewis