Bandsaw and the PowerPro

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

[quote="ppengineeratss"]Greetings all]

Since a lot of us Shopsmith owners are engineers or with backgrounds in electronics and software, Is there any plans to offer a programming course for what each control circuit controls along with min & min limits and why staying inside each set of limits is recommended. I would be happy to pay for and be happy to attend such a class at the factory ever If I do not own a PowerPro. A source of money/income for the factory. Maybe a one day class with several other classes on later days for equipment maintanences.

No one wants to damage an expensive piece of machinery so a little more knowledge can be helpful to all of us. I really enjoyed the Owner's Weekend.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

billmayo wrote:Since a lot of us Shopsmith owners are engineers or with backgrounds in electronics and software, Is there any plans to offer a programming course for what each control circuit controls along with min & min limits and why staying inside each set of limits is recommended. I would be happy to pay for and be happy to attend such a class at the factory ever If I do not own a PowerPro. A source of money/income for the factory. Maybe a one day class with several other classes on later days for equipment maintanences.

No one wants to damage an expensive piece of machinery so a little more knowledge can be helpful to all of us. I really enjoyed the Owner's Weekend.
Great idea!
BPR
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

billmayo wrote:Since a lot of us Shopsmith owners are engineers or with backgrounds in electronics and software, Is there any plans to offer a programming course for what each control circuit controls along with min & min limits and why staying inside each set of limits is recommended. I would be happy to pay for and be happy to attend such a class at the factory ever If I do not own a PowerPro. A source of money/income for the factory. Maybe a one day class with several other classes on later days for equipment maintanences.

I like this idea]very[/B] math-intensive area. The ever-looming problem is Stability (self-oscillations, runaway, etc.). While the math used to be mainframe-worthy, these days a person could probably do it on a home PC -- if he knew how to model all the system and had the engineering s/w. At one time I found the Teknatool DVR schematics on the web, while I was waiting for my PowerPro. But I really don't want to go there -- woodworking is my getaway from engineering :) .
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nuhobby wrote:I like this idea]very[/B] math-intensive area. The ever-looming problem is Stability (self-oscillations, runaway, etc.). While the math used to be mainframe-worthy, these days a person could probably do it on a home PC -- if he knew how to model all the system and had the engineering s/w. At one time I found the Teknatool DVR schematics on the web, while I was waiting for my PowerPro. But I really don't want to go there -- woodworking is my getaway from engineering :) .
Wishful 'thinking'!

It ain't gonna happen!

Too much risk, too little control.

That's the way I see it!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

[quote="ppengineeratss"]Greetings all]

When I initially called, mid 90's did not work, so I was told to set it to 100. At that time it appeared to work (and no overspeed), so we left it at that. some time later, I still experienced the banging, so I called again, but never received a call back (so much for customer service), so I gradually increased the IrOFFSET (not randomly) until the noise stopped - which is 130.

As for the overspeed - sorry to disagree, but the PP only overspeeds at low speeds. At 2000 RPM and above, there is no overspeed. There is no proportional change, rather, an inverse proportion. At 500 RPM, the overspeed is 1100; at 900 it is 1500; at 1350 it is 1850; 2000 and above there is no overspeed - which is why I do not consider the overspeed to be much of a problem. I will agree, however, that it can be a problem with the bandsaw. Yes, I recently have thrown a tire - and now I know that it is probably due to the overspeed.

You made a very strongly worded commentary on the dangers of changing the setting. OK, so I'll put the setting back to 82. What about the safety issues of loose set screws - (one of which was on the drive pulley on the PP motor. If it wasn't for the retaining ring, that pulley would have popped off), and I suppose a broken coupler caused by the banging is also safe? In over 25 years with my MKV, I've never broken a coupler, nor had a set screw come loose (until I installed the PP) - so don't tell me that the default setting is "safe".
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

[quote="michaeltoc"]When I initially called, mid 90's did not work, so I was told to set it to 100. At that time it appeared to work (and no overspeed), so we left it at that. some time later, I still experienced the banging, so I called again, but never received a call back (so much for customer service), so I gradually increased the IrOFFSET (not randomly) until the noise stopped - which is 130.

As for the overspeed - sorry to disagree, but the PP only overspeeds at low speeds. At 2000 RPM and above, there is no overspeed. There is no proportional change, rather, an inverse proportion. At 500 RPM, the overspeed is 1100]
Some good points Mike. You were initially told to change the settings by Customer Service, so why the backpedaling by them now?

I also made a few valid points, but there has been no reply from Jim.

As you say, so much for customer service!
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro