Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited - Illustrations & More

Post by everettdavis »

Perhaps a picture would have helped had I posted one.

Here is where My Google Drive link appears in the 1st post in the thread.

Everett
My Google Drive.png
My Google Drive.png (132.88 KiB) Viewed 31114 times
CPolk
Bronze Member

Post by CPolk »

Mr. Davis I had to join your forum to post, but I simply had to tell you just how valuable something you wrote has proved to be to me.

I am not a Shopsmith owner, but my hobby is restoring antique radios and guitar amplifiers and the chassis' are often really rusty and I found your document Got Rust Want it Gone to be incredible for me.

The Safest Rust Remover from Ultra One is the product I have been looking for for a decade. As you recommeded I bought the gallon concentrate, diluted it and tested in on a carcass I abandoned years ago and set it up for re-circulation.

My God it was magic. It cleaned all the rust and I mean all of it, didn't harm anything, even the plastic wire insulation on what wasn't cut out when I scrapped it, the tube sockets, the resistors color bands, even revealed painted lettering under a rusted section I didn't know existed were preserved. The chassis looked so new a friend asked me were I got a reproduction. It looked that good.

I just had to thank you for putting this Rust Removal document together. It will save me days of work.

I suspect it is an excellent document for your Shopsmith forum members as well.

Thanks again,

Charlie Polk
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thanks Charlie, I am glad it helped you.

As an additional followup to videobear's post I went back in and changed the text color to red to help folks more easily see the link to My Google Drive on the main page of this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the emails on the Got Rust? Want it Gone? document.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

As many of you are aware I am working for John Burger and the rest of the Magna / Shopsmith Community to restore a rare document that to the best of my knowledge, had John not obtained and preserved, might otherwise be lost to the world.

It is the Preliminary Magna Shopsmith 10E Manual. He posted a PDF copy of it at Vintage Machinery on July 4, 2015. That copy is available at http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=8465 as he noted previously.

I have restored a number of documents for old manuals and have had some success in getting the images to come back.

That said, due to the age and condition of this document, likely 70 years old, and faded ink, what I have been able to achieve, simply is not up to my standards.

My intent has always been to promote the understanding of the reader and convey the text the manufacturer provided in the document, and bring the images back.

To that end, and with the permission of the Shopsmith Owner community who own one, I would like to substitute photos I previously restored from the first official 10E manual in their place, to improve legibility.

Some have written me privately asking why the delay. John has been very patient, and I am asking him now, just as I am asking the rest of you;

“Since a copy of the original is available at Vintage Machinery for a free download, would you object terribly if I substitute for the original images, those that are significantly more legible?”

Yes or No

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have absolutely no problem with that. A preface or addendum explaining what you did might be appropriate.

BTW, the shadow box for your Australian 10ER manual is coming along.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What is the purpose of your efforts? I assume it is to help others understanding. Obviously a 'better' picture would be preferable.

Maybe for the 'purists' that would object to such chicanery, inclusion of the original illustrations in an appendix?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:What is the purpose of your efforts? I assume it is to help others understanding. Obviously a 'better' picture would be preferable.

Maybe for the 'purists' that would object to such chicanery, inclusion of the original illustrations in an appendix?
That was one of my thoughts also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:What is the purpose of your efforts? I assume it is to help others understanding. Obviously a 'better' picture would be preferable.

That was one of my thoughts also.
I just sent John, via a Private Directory in My Google Drive a Work-In-Process copy of the Restored Preliminary Manual that accompanied the very first 10E's ever made in 1947.

It is coming along. I have only replaced one picture, working through as much of the document. I believe that will be the only one I need to replace.

When you see the final release you will understand why I chose it. There will be a copy of it in one of the Appendices added in the restored manual.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John Burger now has what I hope is the finished copy of the Restored 10E Preliminary Manual that I have been working on for months.

Once he approves the final copy, I will post an update that it is available after I post it to My Google Drive.

I spent a lot of time on this document and have added significant content not available in either of the earlier restored Owner's Guides for the 10E and 10ER that came later.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:John Burger now has what I hope is the finished copy of the Restored 10E Preliminary Manual that I have been working on for months.

Once he approves the final copy, I will post an update that it is available after I post it to My Google Drive.

I spent a lot of time on this document and have added significant content not available in either of the earlier restored Owner's Guides for the 10E and 10ER that came later.

Everett
I got back today so I will start to read your effort. It hardly requires my approval but thank you for that comment. I will try to get it done before the end of the week. Your efforts are very much appreciated.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT