New Thread, Old Subject - USPS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

We have the greatest mailman in the world - eternally friendly and considerate. Most of our mail comes to our house, but having an open and relatively small front porch that is fairly close to the street, I don't really like having things of value left at the front door. Of course with FedEx and UPS, this is the only option unless you have signature required, which sets into motion the annoying little yellow slips on the door and threats of the package being return after three failed delivery attempts etc. I also have a PO Box at our local PO - I've had it for 30 years and keep it partially for sentimental reasons as I've had it since I moved up her to go to college eons ago, but it does work great for being a failsafe place to have USPS deliver packages. This works great for purchases from E-Bay and also has the bonus of being a great way to hide my SS-buying excesses from my wife, since she never checks the PO Box ;-)

Unfortunately most online vendors seem to rarely have USPS as an option, including Amazon where we are Amazon Prime members and get free 2-day UPS on most purchases. Living in a small town with limited options for many purchasing needs, online purchasing is as much a necessity as a convenience more often than not. My allegiance has always been and always will be with USPS but the online world has led to a steady reduction in USPS shipping to our house/PO these days. Of course, this also means everything comes to our front porch since the other carriers wont deliver to a PO Box, but since the UPS guy never shows up until ~6pm anyway, usually not an issue (other than is sucks to wait this long in the day for something you are expecting...)
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

My only recent complaint with my postman has to do with his trying to deliver two envelopes requiring signatures when I wasn't home. Can you imagine being so inconsiderate. Chuckle Chuckle. It really wasn't that bad standing in line at the next morning at the post office. Really nice people to visit with. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

I have yet to have a problem with the post office or their carriers. I do have problems with FedEx and UPS. The other day, had a package delivered from AT&T via FedEx. Had to wait as I was supposed to sign for the materials. He brought it to the door and just dropped it. Didn't even bother to knock or ring the door bell. When I get a package via USPS, I always get a knock on the door and a ring on the doorbell. Besides, the post office is cheaper, I get a scan when it is shipped, sorted, received at my local sort platform and when it is out for delivery. Don't need anything else as it gets here just as fast or faster than the private providers. I choose USPS over all others. Will support my post office despite the contortions of Paul Ryan. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

dusty wrote:That is pretty good service. I would not be surprised if you were "small town" but Mesa is not small. I like my carrier but I don't believe he would do that.
Dusty, when I was born here, Mesa WAS small-town, and also very mono-religious, (if that's a word.)

Also, the same carrier delivers at my house, as well as at work. I just gotta know in advance, so I can alert him. Some companies have REAL crappy tracking. (Woot! you know who I'm talking about.)

It's hard to tell Kevin it's coming, after it got here. Woot! has refunded me on NUMEROUS packages, because someone else found it on my doorstep, because I didn't know it was coming.

steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:Dusty, when I was born here, Mesa WAS small-town, and also very mono-religious, (if that's a word.)

Also, the same carrier delivers at my house, as well as at work. I just gotta know in advance, so I can alert him. Some companies have REAL crappy tracking. (Woot! you know who I'm talking about.)

It's hard to tell Kevin it's coming, after it got here. Woot! has refunded me on NUMEROUS packages, because someone else found it on my doorstep, because I didn't know it was coming.

steve

I am currently waiting for delivery of a PP item shipped from IL Nov 3. Next 'tracking' entry is Nov 8 AM @ Cincy. Last entry is departure Nov 9, no 'time'.

Estimated delivery date, Nov 8.

Shall be interesting what follows.;)

BTW if door step thefts are a problem, the town needs to go back to it's roots!:) Or maybe the varmits are from Scottsdale!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

This is the FIRST time this has ever happened to me!
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action

Has anyone else had this experience?
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well my package arrived today(AM). Tracking had it arrived in lex at the time of delivery, and USPS notified me it was delivered at 21:28 today. No 'real time' tracking!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fixit wrote:This is the FIRST time this has ever happened to me!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Just what happening are you inquiring about?

Enter the tracking #, click on find, and info appears.

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG40504 wrote:BTW if door step thefts are a problem, the town needs to go back to it's roots!:) Or maybe the varmits are from Scottsdale!:D

JPG, the "varmints" are from south of here. The country of my father's birth, as well as Mitt's father, if you get my drift.

Let's just say, if Mesa was due for an enema, I'd be VERY nervous. No, sheriff Joe does NOTHING here. Wish he would.

Alma School and Main, for you local types.

steve
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

JPG40504 wrote:Just what happening are you inquiring about?

Enter the tracking #, click on find, and info appears.

I was just commenting on the fact this was the first time I had EVER received ANY information on something sent through the USPS. Previously, I only received a notice saying there was no information available - even after the pkg was delivered.

I believe that was a condition related to my local PO rather than the USPS system as a whole. Seems they have now caught up with the rest of the world.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.