Fed Ex deliveries

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

"It looks like this driver is an exception?"

Sure sounds just like you said “an exception” Just like any other line of work there are exceptions. I receive over 10,000 packages a year from FedEx/ UPS. Everyday a UPS package will be torn, busted open or wet. Some is due to poor packaging by the sending company. I can’t remember the last time I received a damage package from FedEx . one company we deal with does not even pack their product in a master box. They ship it FEDEx in the package as it is sold in the store.

Just FYI- FedEx Freight is company drivers and differ from FedEx ground.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Fed Ex vs USPS vs USPS

Post by fjimp »

Today I received four shipments. The first from Shopsmith arrived via Fed Ex in perfect condition it was packed right and handled with care. Two from UPS, one was well packed and handled perfectly by UPS the other shipped by UPS was poorly packaged and looked as though it had been dropped kicked into the end zone, yet the contents were fine. The final package was a used book from Amazon.com, now those folks have book packaging down to a science. Nicks book on Sharpening looked like a new one and USPS did their job well. Generally all of the carriers do a fine job. The only carrier we have ongoing issues with is DHL. They don't seem to care if they ever deliver anything. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi cincinnati,
[quote="cincinnati"]"It looks like this driver is an exception?"

Sure sounds just like you said &#8220]
Have you checked out the other thread? http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1179&page=3 There is another exceptional driver delivered pkg to look at. (sorry, I could not resist:p )
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Jim,
fjimp wrote:Today I received four shipments. The first from Shopsmith arrived via Fed Ex in perfect condition it was packed right and handled with care. Two from UPS, one was well packed and handled perfectly by UPS the other shipped by UPS was poorly packaged and looked as though it had been dropped kicked into the end zone, yet the contents were fine. The final package was a used book from Amazon.com, now those folks have book packaging down to a science. Nicks book on Sharpening looked like a new one and USPS did their job well. Generally all of the carriers do a fine job. The only carrier we have ongoing issues with is DHL. They don't seem to care if they ever deliver anything. Jim
I am glad that you get your pkgs in good shape. Actually, I have not had a problem with the condition of the pkg (although others have!). Rather, it seems to be a problem with the deliveries themselves.

For instance, I received several boxes, all at once, from SS delivered by FedUp, about a year and a half ago. One box was missing. FedUp had sent it to some other part of the country. It was an additional week before I got it. All the pkgs had the same shipping label, and were part of a single shipment.

Another time, the pkgs being delivered actually came a day earlier then the tracking info said they would. Sounds like a good thing, huh? Not this time: I keep a cable across my driveway to discourage "visiters". I drop the cable when I am expecting someone. The FedUp driver, having come a day earlier then was expected, left the pkgs (Incra "The Ultimate Fence/Router System Package", SS value $923.99) at the side of my driveway, over the cable:mad: . I was just lucky that it was still there when I got home .

I don't even bother with UPS tracking: Even when my cable is across my driveway, they walk the pkgs 200' up to the house! Every time!

The last time FedUp delivered a pkg to me from SS, it made it to Sacramento 3 days after SS shipped it. It left Sacramento and took 4 more days to get to Sacramento...AGAIN. I called and asked about it. The man told me quote (taken out of context) "..I don't know what the reason was, but they had a good reason for doing that.....they know what they are doing..." Yes he said they not we. The pkg was delivered to me (near Seattle) the next day. If they can deliver it to me from Sacramento in one day, why did it spend 4 days sightseeing CA?
Tim

fjimp
Platinum Member

Must Be Geographic

Post by fjimp »

Tim,

As I follow this thread I feel there must be geographic differences in way different carriers operate. Either that or local management in same locations keep there drives so stirred up the either don't care or desire to have themselves and the boss in hot water. DHL for example; we have discovered we don't dare ship to Denver Colorado by them. The packages never arrive at the intended location without a fight. I hate hearing stories like yours. Fed EX did leve one of my Shopsmith orders in front of my garage one day. Interestingly enough I seem to remember it was Incra supplies. UPS has been known to do that on occasion. I doubt that anyone would bother anything even if left next to the road here. We live in a highly rural gated community that is heavily patrolled. Most of my neighbors are retired and frequently comment on who comes and goes around the neighborhood. The crime rate here is nearly non existant. I say with a knock on the trusty wooden table top. Fed EX is not my favorite carrier. My reasons however have more to do with their overnight service rates and inability to keep my business account straight. In fact I no longer use them for business shipments. The ground folks are very helpful and extreemly polite here. I would love to believe that your shipments will improve. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:Tim,

............... I would love to believe that your shipments will improve. Jim

Me too. Thanks for your comments. Thanks for everybodys comments. I can only hope that SS will give us a choice. At least we would not have them to blame (partially) when something goes wrong:p .
Tim

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Fed-UP comes through!

Post by a1gutterman »

Just a little update: I had placed an order with SS via the Internet, on Sunday, March 30. I received conformation of the order right away, again on March 30.

On April 4, I read on the forum of someone that had also ordered on March 30:
charlese wrote: Good job! "SS Shipping" and FedEX
I placed an order for some of the stuff SS was clearing out. Inventory reduction)

Order placed as 11:27 PM March 30
e-mail confirmation in 5 minutes
Order shipped -April 1
Order received at my home - April 4

This is how my orders usually go. I have had two back orders (understandable) but once shipped they get here very quickly.

The recent order went from Dayton - to Kentucky - to Houston - to Palmdale, CA. Palmdale is only 5 or so miles to the south of Lancaster. Shipping has taken only 3 days since FedEX opened a new distribution center in Palmdale. It used to take 4 days when the shipments went to Somewhere in the San Fernando Valley.
This information led me to check on my order. All SS could tell me, via the Internet tracking system, was my order had..."NOT SHIPPED YET". Being disappionted with those results, I posted it in response to charlese's "good" news.

On April 8, I got a shipping e-conformation from SS. Yay! I checked the Fed-UP tracking system and discovered that the shipment had been picked up the day before, on April 7. The complete route that my package took went like this]first[/U] shipping of an order, out of the several that I have received from SS in the last two years, that I have been satisfied with. I do not know why charlese's order went out so much faster then mine did, but that is not related to Fed-Up anyway.

My order was complete except for quantity 3 of the 24" double bar clamps, which they backordered:( .

The package was in beautiful shape, both the outside and the inside.

Well done!Image
Tim

qtndas01
Gold Member

Post by qtndas01 »

I can't complain about the Fed Ex delivery time I have received. My last order delivered on Monday 4/7. One corner was completely torn open. I was missing three items and called SS. I have since received the items that were missing. SS told me they contacted Fed Ex and they would call back with a number to call because Fed Ex wanted to see the carton. Its been almost a week and I have not heard anymore from SS or Fed Ex. I am not going to keep saving the carton. I don't know if they decided the value was not worth the effort or what. I realize you can get damaged packages from Fed ex, UPS, or USPS; but usually UPS will mark the carton as received damaged or even repackage the order. I also had one other oder that I questioned when calling on something else and was told it was sent back to SS.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

qtndas01 wrote:........... I also had one other oder that I questioned when calling on something else and was told it was sent back to SS.
What did it smell like?:D
Tim

qtndas01
Gold Member

Post by qtndas01 »

That was a typo - order not oder.