New to this site and have questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Knot knowing where ya live. Check here to see if a live demo in near ya.

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/event_schedule.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Yes, the Universal Tool Rest (UTR) is the work around for tool rest instability. This adds to expense and may reduce overall turning diameter. (depending o tn positioning of the tool rest relative to the turning.) It also increases weight by 35 pounds which helps. Adding weight to the SS is as simple as attaching a cabinet to the bench tubes and loading it with all of the accessories.

I have seen a few work arounds for the tailstock as well by adapting a standard lathe tailstock to function on the SS, this can reduce capacity though.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pieceseeker wrote:Thanks Dusty for your opinion. I remember my Dad's Mark 5, it was a beautiful machine. My Dad was not computer or internet savy, and I think that the lack of sufficient information and support the internet gives, was a source of frustration with the machine. Not knowing how to use or even have a dial indicator for setup or for that matter the patience to persevere to get it right I think was my Dad's ultimate downfall to being happy and satisfied with such a beautiful machine. Maybe it is a little more high maintenance as far as setting up from what I read, but you can really get intimate with a machine that way. Please, no play on words here OK?
OK! We will leave yer 'nom de plume' alone as well!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

pieceseeker wrote:I have not done much woodworking, mainly because of time issues (I work alot), but I have done some in the past. I am 60 (can't hardly believe it myself), live in a duplex that I own and am remodeling one side right now, but have visions of doing cabinet work and furniture pieces as time permits. I am in excellent health, so I should have 20 years or so to "play around" with woodworking. Given the longevity of the SS, it should last the rest of my life. I would like to start off by building some top quality jigs as beginning practice
Okay ask yourself this, instead of dropping $4000 for a SS would it be better to spend, let us say around $1000 to see if you really are into wood working?

You mentioned a remodel. The remodel is good place to start, and remember most homes and remodels are done without stationary machines.

My guess is once you are into the work you will find you want an circular saw, air compressor and nail gun, recipocating saw, angle drill, flush cutting saw like a (fein) a really good shop vac, a hammer drill, some flex drill bits to run wiring in existing walls, chisels, hammers, wrecking bars and many hand tools.

You said you already have a Dewalt cut off saw, that and a circular saw will handle most if not all of your wood cutting. You might need a way to rip and that can be done on a guided saw system, SS sells one. All of these would still be used if you then bought a SS.

For cabinet making I redid two bathrooms and a kitchen, I used my SS to do two things on the cabinet rip cut my wood, and joint the wood I did cut. All cross cutting was done on my Dewalt cutoff saw. Everything else was done with hand tools or hand tools mounted in specially tables (router table).

But again I have all the saws, air hammers, nail guns, routers, bits, drills, vacs, and things that you have yet to buy.

Again all of the tools would still be used if you do buy a shopsmith and by then you will know if wood working if for you or not. But more importantly you will know if you want to invest in a Shopsmith or not.

Again I think you already made up your mind you just want us to say yea you need one. Okay yea you need a Shopsmith if nothing else they look so very good sitting in the shop. I love mine.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Pieceseeker,

All the pros and cons can be listed and scrutinized with cold detachment. But in the end this Mark V thing "speaks" to some of us (most of us on this forum) in a way that goes beyond the tangibles and possibly beyond the rational. :D I just find it "cool" and frankly "fun" to use. I never felt that way about my table saw or any other power tool I've owned.

That's not to say there aren't frustrations and arguably a few relatively minor limitations -- there are. But my analogy would be fine old E class Jaguar. There may be more modern, better handling and faster cars that require less maintenance. But if you "get" it, you still want the Jag. On the upside, the Shopsmith isn't going to breakdown as much as the Jag or at all with regular maintenance.

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Pieceseeker,

Welcome aboard. As I found myself approaching retirement I was determined to make woodworking my hobby once the work life ended. I visited a Shopsmith Demo at a Lowes store in Charlottesville Virginia. My wife was a bit nervous about that demo as she was aware I had coveted a Shopsmith forty year before when finances would not allow. I went back the second day and ordered a Mark V "520" machine which then was the top of the line. That machine replaced my entire shop full of standalone tools that had become grey around the edges from a great deal of use. The biggest issue with those tools being inability to find parts followed by designs requiring frequent replacement. My 520 is now an upgraded Mark 7 and has been joined by a second Mark 7 along with every special Purpose Tool Shopsmith makes. The best part being that I have learned more about my abilities and stretched my mind and those abilities far beyond any perceived dreams. My shop has grown to a really nice 500 square foot space. Learning the Shopsmith world from the experts at Shopsmith and those available 24 hours a day seven days a week here on this forum has truly expanded my life in ways I value greatly. I look forward to your joining us and have no doubt in my mind that you will value the experience beyond anything we can suggest. Incidentally there are a couple of ways of reducing the initial outlay of new equipment. One is to visit a Lowes Demo. The second would be to take part in an online demo from Doug Reid. Doug taught a three day course after I bought my first Mark V. His online videos are priceless. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Okay ask yourself this, instead of dropping $4000 for a SS would it be better to spend, let us say around $1000 to see if you really are into wood working?

You mentioned a remodel. The remodel is good place to start, and remember most homes and remodels are done without stationary machines.

My guess is once you are into the work you will find you want an circular saw, air compressor and nail gun, recipocating saw, angle drill, flush cutting saw like a (fein) a really good shop vac, a hammer drill, some flex drill bits to run wiring in existing walls, chisels, hammers, wrecking bars and many hand tools.

You said you already have a Dewalt cut off saw, that and a circular saw will handle most if not all of your wood cutting. You might need a way to rip and that can be done on a guided saw system, SS sells one. All of these would still be used if you then bought a SS.

For cabinet making I redid two bathrooms and a kitchen, I used my SS to do two things on the cabinet rip cut my wood, and joint the wood I did cut. All cross cutting was done on my Dewalt cutoff saw. Everything else was done with hand tools or hand tools mounted in specially tables (router table).

But again I have all the saws, air hammers, nail guns, routers, bits, drills, vacs, and things that you have yet to buy.

Again all of the tools would still be used if you do buy a shopsmith and by then you will know if wood working if for you or not. But more importantly you will know if you want to invest in a Shopsmith or not.

Again I think you already made up your mind you just want us to say yea you need one. Okay yea you need a Shopsmith if nothing else they look so very good sitting in the shop. I love mine.
Well, this remodeling has been an ongoing project, I have all the necessary tools and skill for that. My wife has recently called me a perfectionist. She has wondered why it should take so long to do a room. I always tell people that 95% of a paint job is the prep work. She now amazed at how well a room can really look if done with enough detail work.

I hope to put that kind of detail into making jigs, cabinets, shelves, etc.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

fjimp wrote:Pieceseeker,

Welcome aboard. As I found myself approaching retirement I was determined to make woodworking my hobby once the work life ended. I visited a Shopsmith Demo at a Lowes store in Charlottesville Virginia. My wife was a bit nervous about that demo as she was aware I had coveted a Shopsmith forty year before when finances would not allow. I went back the second day and ordered a Mark V "520" machine which then was the top of the line. That machine replaced my entire shop full of standalone tools that had become grey around the edges from a great deal of use. The biggest issue with those tools being inability to find parts followed by designs requiring frequent replacement. My 520 is now an upgraded Mark 7 and has been joined by a second Mark 7 along with every special Purpose Tool Shopsmith makes. The best part being that I have learned more about my abilities and stretched my mind and those abilities far beyond any perceived dreams. My shop has grown to a really nice 500 square foot space. Learning the Shopsmith world from the experts at Shopsmith and those available 24 hours a day seven days a week here on this forum has truly expanded my life in ways I value greatly. I look forward to your joining us and have no doubt in my mind that you will value the experience beyond anything we can suggest. Incidentally there are a couple of ways of reducing the initial outlay of new equipment. One is to visit a Lowes Demo. The second would be to take part in an online demo from Doug Reid. Doug taught a three day course after I bought my first Mark V. His online videos are priceless. Jim
Thanks Jim, BTW, what kind of savings is to be expected by ordering at a demo compared to ordering direct from SS? There is no demo anywhere near the Atlanta area this month. The schedule only covers January and Feburary and first of March. I've called SS and having the info pack delivered, but I've already learned a lot about SS from this forum and the SS website.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

algale wrote:Pieceseeker,

All the pros and cons can be listed and scrutinized with cold detachment. But in the end this Mark V thing "speaks" to some of us (most of us on this forum) in a way that goes beyond the tangibles and possibly beyond the rational. :D I just find it "cool" and frankly "fun" to use. I never felt that way about my table saw or any other power tool I've owned.

That's not to say there aren't frustrations and arguably a few relatively minor limitations -- there are. But my analogy would be fine old E class Jaguar. There may be more modern, better handling and faster cars that require less maintenance. But if you "get" it, you still want the Jag. On the upside, the Shopsmith isn't going to breakdown as much as the Jag or at all with regular maintenance.

Al
I know all about automotive breakdowns, I'm a Master Auto Technician by trade. I used to have a love affair with a Ducati 1198S, till I fell off it in a curve. I have a Graco HVLP V Comp which I love to paint with. So, when it comes to machines, I just may be a little beyond rational myself. In other words, I may fit right in here! :D
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

terrydowning wrote:Yes, the Universal Tool Rest (UTR) is the work around for tool rest instability. This adds to expense and may reduce overall turning diameter. (depending o tn positioning of the tool rest relative to the turning.) It also increases weight by 35 pounds which helps. Adding weight to the SS is as simple as attaching a cabinet to the bench tubes and loading it with all of the accessories.

I have seen a few work arounds for the tailstock as well by adapting a standard lathe tailstock to function on the SS, this can reduce capacity though.
Yea, I've seen a couple of those storage units here somewhere that really look good. Besides, all that space under the SS is wasted otherwise.