Really Wierd Garage Door Problem

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

dusty wrote:When a problem such as this involves multiple items, I consider it wise to drop back and look for either commonalities or the simplest possible cause.

Two cars, two doors, , two motors, one wall control (that works), one safety beam.
Close: Two wall controls, Two safety beams, two remotes operating different units, one a year old and the other 15 years old. Same brand - Chamberlain.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pure conjecture follows:

I assume the home link 'learns' from the original remote controls.

I also assume the two remote controls are 'different' so as to only open one door.

I assume home link in each car has only been 'taught' one of the remotes signals.

I assume the two signals are 'similar' since they share the same genetics.(different switch settings?)

Being subjected to similar codes often may be confusing the receiver as to what to respond to. Activating with the wall switch resets the receiver to 'initial' response. I know that just does not make sense. Got something better?;)

If the two remotes/recievers do have code switches, make them opposite of each other. i.e. one sets only every other code switch. The second sets those not set in the first. i.e. they are 'complimentary'.

Question is, are my assumptions accurate?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

&quot wrote:Pure conjecture follows:

I assume the home link 'learns' from the original remote controls. Ja.

I also assume the two remote controls are 'different' so as to only open one door. Ja.

I assume home link in each car has only been 'taught' one of the remotes signals. Nien. Both have two codes, for each door.

I assume the two signals are 'similar' since they share the same genetics.(different switch settings?)

Being subjected to similar codes often may be confusing the receiver as to what to respond to. Activating with the wall switch resets the receiver to 'initial' response. I know that just does not make sense. Got something better?;) Nein!

If the two remotes/recievers do have code switches, make them opposite of each other. i.e. one sets only every other code switch. The second sets those not set in the first. i.e. they are 'complimentary'. No code switches. they are programmed by the wired switch/button.

Question is, are my assumptions accurate?
Ja. Das is richt.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:Ja. Das is richt.
And the homelink? How does it get retrained?

And what if one of the remotes is far far way?(the one associated with the wall switch)

Do I understand that whenever the wall switch is pushed the code and all that depends on the code start anew?

'Obviously' the remotes are getting retrained by something else(your neighbor got the same make/model?).

Next time it quits working, go around and determine who's door it now opens!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange